I must begin with an apology. Starting with Daniel Hutchinson I wanted to see whether the full-time officers had completed any of their manifesto pledges.
For a number of reasons this didn’t happen, mostly because I didn’t have the time.
I still think that this is important. The six full-time officers for the 2008/09 academic year were paid as much as £18,461. Two of them, Dan Windross and Maria Yesufu, faced no competition in the elections.
Below you will find the pledges made in each of their manifestos. The full documents are linked at the bottom of the article, and they contain more details than this list.
Can you see anything that you think has been done well, or poorly? Let us know in the comments.
The pledges, summarised:
- A 24-hour library.
- Wednesday afternoons free for “enrichment activities”.
- Spend more time fund-raising.
- “Improve the communications links between the Students’ Union and the students.”
- “Assist … in creating a (sic) good and beneficial publications such as the Student Handbook.”
- Set up a “media centre”.
- “Open access” for students to university facilities, like the Emmtec & LPAC buildings.
- “Better efforts” to “integrate international students or students from different backgrounds.”
- Support for new societies, “rather than a first come first served basis”.
- Printing credit for societies.
- Raise more money as part of RAG.
- Continue work on sexual health and anti-bullying campaigns.
- Improve relations with the West End Residents Association.
- ‘Increase awareness of’
- Recycling facilities.
- “Getting home safely in the evenings.”
- Alcohol abuse.
- Set up a “Welfare Campaigns Committee”, that includes students.
- “More integration between students” at different campuses.
- Including better transport from the Engine Shed on certain nights.
- Increase availability of GUM clinic.
- Free pregnancy tests for some people.
- “Constant communication with different teams and individuals” to “improve all university sport.”
- “More support for less established and new societies.”
- Gym discount for team members.
- Make the tri-society games an annual event, and hold similar events between societies.
- “Make better use of the Tower Bar.”
- “Have Sub-TV in the Tower Bar.”
- Transport for team supporters to “key matches”.
- External training and coaching for teams.
- Sporting tours “for all our societies”.
- Set up a “Sports Committee.”
The full manifesto documents, for academic year 2008/09:Tweet