Asbestos scare in Chad Varah House

Doors containing deadly white asbestos in Chad Varah House will be removed, following a recent survey by an asbestos inspector.

A source tipped-off The Linc that asbestos had been discovered in Chad Varah House and that staff using the building are “going mad” about it. The building is used by the faculty of art and design.


Asbestos is in some of the fire-safety doors in Chad Varah House. Photo: Daniel Ionescu

It was also alleged that the university’s health and safety committee had originally been told that there was no asbestos in the building.

Asbestos is common in old buildings. The Control of Asbestos Regulations (2006) requires a building’s owner to carry out risk assessments on any area containing asbestos.

Victims of asbestosis, caused by breathing in asbestos fibres, often develop lung cancer, or cancer of the lining of the chest and lungs. Fibres can lay in your system for as long as forty years before becoming active.

In a statement, the university said: “Fire protective boarding containing white asbestos is on some of the doors at Chad Varah house. This is managed by the university in line with control of asbestos regulations 2006.

“A recent survey by a specialist asbestos inspector commissioned by the university recommended that, as a precaution, the university replace the doors. Work will be commencing in the near future and staff at Chad Varah will be kept informed with regards to arrangements for this.”

 

3 Responses to Asbestos scare in Chad Varah House

  1. Nick Jackson says:

    Why go mad about it? Asbestos is only a danger in particle/fibre form, which it only tends to be in if it’s being worked with (installed/removed/cut etc). Asbestos fireproofing panels aren’t dangerous at all unless damaged in which case they should be removed and replaced anyway because the damage will impair their ability to hold back fires.

  2. Claire Thompson says:

    What a good job that the University has you there to explain the obvious to them.

    If the fire doors weren’t damaged then no-one at Chad Varah would ‘go mad’.

  3. Jasmine Ward says:

    Asbestos is one hell of a health hazard that is why we have removed all asbestos based insulation in our homes.