Premier League round-up: Gameweek 2

– Dan Brown contributed to this report.

The second round of Premier League fixtures got underway on Saturday lunchtime when Swansea welcomed West Ham to the Liberty Stadium.

Manchester United bounced back from their defeat at Everton with a win at Old Trafford. Photo: Edwin Lee

The home side took the lead on 20 minutes through Àngel Rangel, before Michu capitalised on a dreadful James Collins back-pass to score his third in two games to make it 2-0. Danny Graham completed the scoring on 64 minutes as Swansea continued their superb start to the season.

Manchester United got their first points of the season courtesy of a 3-2 victory over Fulham. Damien Duff put Fulham ahead three minutes in, but their lead lasted just seven minutes before Robin van Persie’s excellent volley levelled matters.

Goals from Shinji Kagawa and Rafael gave United a commanding half time lead, but a freak 64th minute own-goal from Nemanja Vidic gave Fulham a lifeline. The Cottagers pushed for an equaliser but couldn’t beat David De Gea in the United goal.

Villa and Southampton remain pointless

Aston Villa slumped to a second successive defeat at home to Everton, who maintained their 100% start to the season. Everton were 3-0 up by half time when goals from Maruoane Fellaini and Nikica Jelavic added to a wonderful third minute strike by Steven Pienaar.

Things got worse for Villa when Ciaran Clark was given his marching orders. Karim El Ahmadi pulled one back, but it was nothing more than a consolation.

Southampton remain the only other team yet to earn a point after they lost 2-0 at home to Wigan. A powerful strike from Franco Di Santo gave Wigan the lead after 51 minutes, before Arouna Kone scored late on to seal the victory.

All square at Carrow Road and White Hart Lane

Norwich and QPR both looked to recover from 5-0 opening day defeats as they met at Carrow Road. Simeon Jackson put Norwich ahead after 11 minutes, before Bobby Zamora equalised in controversial circumstances.

Norwich goalkeeper, John Ruddy saved Djibril Cisse’s 19th minute penalty, only for Zamora to slot home the rebound. Replays show Zamora clearly encroached when the kick was taken, but referee Mark Clattenburg awarded the goal and the game finished 1-1.

Tottenham got their first point of the season with a 1-1 draw against West Brom at White Hart Lane. A deflected Benoit Assou-Ekotto effort after 74 minutes looked to have given Spurs all three points, but James Morrison took advantage of some sloppy defending to grab an injury-time equaliser.

Arsenal and City held to draws

Arsenal played out a second successive goalless draw against Stoke at the Britannia Stadium. Lukas Podolski, Santi Cazorla and Olivier Giroud all came close for the Gunners, while Jonathon Walters saw his strike ruled out for offside.

Arsenal pushed for a winner late on, with Giroud coming close with a spectacular effort, but Stoke held firm to take a point.

Manchester City twice came from behind to earn a point against Liverpool at Anfield. The home side took the lead after 34 minutes when Martin Skrtl’s powerful header beat Joe Hart.

It remained 1-0 until the 63rd minute when Pepe Reina and Martin Kelly failed to deal with a Carlos Tevez cross, allowing Yaya Toure to scramble home. However, it took just 3 minutes for Liverpool to regain the lead.

Jack Rodwell was harshly adjudged to have handled the ball 25-yards out and Luis Suarez scored in stunning fashion from the resulting free kick. With 10 minutes remaining, City restored parity once more when Tevez capitalised on a horrific Skrtl back-pass.

The centre back attempted to play the ball back to Reina, but gifted Tevez a one-on-one, with the Argentine coolly rounding the keeper and tapping the ball into the unguarded net.

Comments are closed.