Lincoln City triumphant once more

Lincoln City overturned one of the Skrill Premier League’s big summer spenders, to earn themselves a vital 3 points at home to Forest Green Rovers.

Looking to buil on their impressive 4 points from 2 games, Lincoln were facing tough opponents from Gloucestershire.

However, the lads dug deep and managed a great result.

Lincoln played well at Sincil Bank to overcome big spenders Forest Green Rovers. Photo: Tom Larken

There was plenty of action in the first half at Sincil Bank, with the game, somehow, remaining very much in the balance.

Lincoln seemed to press more in the opening few minutes of the game, with some great attacking play down the left.

Alan Power gave the Imps a surprise when his 20-yard effort hit the side netting, and premature celebrations echoed around the stadium. It certainly seemed to liven up the game.

After a spell of midfield battles, it was Forest Green who took the lead. A cross from Anthony Barry on the left somehow found it’s way past the Imps defence, and into the back of Farman’s net.

Disheartening as this may be, the City fans didn’t let this get the better of them, and really backed their team with songs and chants ringing round the stands continuously.

Sure enough, the Lincoln players thrived on this, and grabbed the equaliser just seven minutes later. Waide Fairhurst controlled a Sean Newton cross into the box, and slotted the ball home delicately to make the game all square once again.

The half ended with a huge talking point, as Alan Power slid in on Forest Green’s Stokes, to send him flying to the turf, but certainly got the ball first.

The referee blew for a Rover’s free kick, much to the disgust of both fans and players, and Lincoln’s Jon Nolan received a yellow card for protesting too much. Stokes, however, was fine, and returned immediately to the field of play, after receiving treatment following his Oscar-worthy performance of rolling on the floor in agony.

The sides were level as they headed in for half time.

The second half started as the first half finished, full of incidents.

Stokes was involved once again as Andrew Boyce caught him with an elbow when tussling for the ball. The referee deemed it non-intentional, and Boyce got only a yellow card.

Just minutes later, Stokes was face down on the turf, and didn’t appear to move for a couple of minutes. But after receiving treatment from the physio for a head injury, once again he returned to the field to play on.

The game then seemed to just be a game played in midfield, with both teams mustering attacks that were broken down easily by the opposition defences.

However, Waide Fairhurst popped up to give Lincoln the winner, after an impressive run by Newton, who gave Fairhurst the ball on the edge of the area, before smashing his shot into the top right corner, making it 2-1 for the home side.

Then the fans really started cheering, and gave Lincoln the boost they needed to hold on to their lead ’til the final whistle.

A great result for the Imps, who continue their league campaign away to Cambridge next Saturday (August 24th).

Player ratings:

Farman 6 – Very unlucky to have conceded, not tested at all.
Gray 6 – Solid enough in defence, but got himself booked.
Boyce 6 – Good game from the centre half, but his booking let him down.
Brown 5 – Very quiet in the game, but solid enough when needed.
Newton 8 – The Imps’ left-back played a sublime game, with great link up play with midfield.
Fofana 6 – Solid enough in midfield, good when called upon.
Power 6 – Relatively quiet from the Irishman.
Tomlinson 6 – Another quiet game today, but looked good on the ball.
Nolan 6 – Good game in the middle of the park, a shame he got booked.
Rowe 7 – Good game for the lad up front, a couple of decent efforts.
Fairhurst 9 – Great game for the lad trying to establish himself in the team. Just what he needed.

Comments are closed.