Varsity report: Women’s football win 5-4 thriller

Lincoln Women’s Football team came out on top in nine a goal thriller over Hull during Varsity.

The game sparked into life six minutes in, when some clever build up outside the box set up a good opportunity which was taken well by captain Sophie Bartup, as an excellent volley was thumped home.

Hull responded strongly, with the rebound from a close range free kick troubling the home side’s defence before they cleared their lines well.

A last minute own goal ensured Lincoln victory

A last minute own goal ensured Lincoln victory.

Lincoln doubled their lead after a dangerous cross was missed by the Hull defence and cleverly finished at the back post again by Bartup.

The home side looked good value for their halftime lead, with Hull creating very little and unable to deal with Bartup’s movement.

The second half started positively for Hull, when a precise through ball was fed through and converted calmly into the bottom corner.

Hull didn’t take long to level the score line, when slick passing outside the box pushed the Lincoln defenders back and making use of the space, the Hull forward finished well.

The game continued its end to end flow, with both sides playing well and creating opportunities, leaving spectators wondering what was in the team’s half time orange slices.

A quick Lincoln counter attack was then rounded off with a good finish, as Rebecca Siefers left the Hull keeper with no chance and pushed Lincoln into a 3-2 lead.

Lincoln captain Sophie Bartup completed her hatrick with a thumping free kick from some distance leaving the keeper stunned and restoring Lincoln’s two goal advantage.

The home side couldn’t stop Hull from responding immediately, as an eye of the needle pass was latched onto by the Hull forward and tap home from close range.

Hull then continued their tradition of levelling the score line, when a long ball over the Lincoln defence was controlled well and tucked home.

Lincoln came close to taking the lead with 5 minutes to go, after a free kick was swung into the box and met a Lincoln head as the ball went crashing onto the crossbar.

A hard working Lincoln got their reward with seconds to go after a mix up between defence and goalkeeper saw the ball ricochet inadvertently off a Hull defender, leaving Hull players stunned.

Lincoln catalyst Sophie Bartup said on the thrilling game: “I didn’t expect Hull to respond after they fell two goals behind.”

“Our pressure forced a cracking game of football with both teams smashing it and I’m delighted to have given minutes to all 24 girls that came today.”

By Samuel Gilbert

Comments are closed.