Varsity report: Women’s Hockey 1sts win but rest defeated

The University of Lincoln Women’s Hockey 1st team produced a solid performance to beat Hull 5-0 but the 2nd and 3rd teams suffered a pair of defeats.

The Lincoln Women’s Hockey 3rds were beaten 3-0 by the Hull in their Varsity clash.

The early part of the game was a very even affair with both sides creating chances.


The University of Lincoln's Women's Hockey 3rd team

The University of Lincoln’s Women’s Hockey 3rd team

There were very few clean cut opportunities though until 15 minutes in when Hull managed to capitalise on a cheap short corner to take the lead.

Hull number 24, Clough, got hold of the ball to fire home the opening goal, hitting it hard and low into the bottom-right hand corner.

Lincoln went into the half time interval trailing and they never really recovered after going behind early on.

After the break, Lincoln did show signs of coming back into the game and they did look threatening.

Both teams continued to get forward and Hull should have gone two up when Parry missed an excellent chance to put the game beyond doubt.

She missed a sitter by getting her feet in a tangle and conceding a foul as the ball made contact with her foot.

Lincoln hopes were shattered when Frost doubled Hull’s lead by sweeping home a cross from the right which trickled past the goalkeeper’s reach.

Five minutes later, Curtiss rounded off a resounding victory for Hull, putting in a rebound from around six yards.

By Ryan Hall

University of Lincoln 2nds 0-1 Hull

Lincoln Women’s Hockey 2nds were narrowly beaten by Hull in an uneventful game with very few chances on goal for both sides.

Jackson scored the only goal of the game in the first half with a sweetly struck shot into the bottom right corner of the goal following neat approach play.

The visitors should have doubled their lead on the stroke of half-time as two Hull players ran clean through on goal but Lincoln’s goalkeeper made a crucial save with her foot to keep the hosts in the game.

The second half was shaded by Lincoln but they only had two decent chances to level. The first was a powerful strike which cannoned back off the Hull ‘keeper’s shins and the second was swept wide from a rebound after a mazy run into the area was halted by a combination of the ‘keeper and the defence.

With just a couple of minutes left, the game suddenly sparked into life. Hull could’ve easily sealed the win after a well worked corner led to a clear strike at goal which was saved. Lincoln then turned defence into attack but they couldn’t quite force the ball home after a quick counter attack.

By Nathan Hill

Comments are closed.