Lincoln City clinch local bragging rights in friendly win over Lincoln United

Lincoln City defeated Lincoln United in an entertaining mid-season friendly at The Sun-Hat and Villas Stadium.

Alex Simmons gave the Imps the lead early on but the Whites equalised soon after through Kallum Smith. Callum Howe put City back in front ten minutes before half time before Liam Hearn’s goal sealed the win for City mid-way through the second half.

Chris Moyses' men triumphed over their local Lincoln rivals (Photo: Nick Lough)

Chris Moyses’ men triumphed over their local Lincoln rivals (Photo: Nick Lough)

Both sides made a number of alterations to their side in order to give fringe players an opportunity to get extra minutes under their belt.

United had the first opportunity to open the scoring, after five minutes, with Grimes shooting straight at the keeper following Parker’s through ball.

A minute later it was City that broke the deadlock. Kegan Everington emerged with the ball down the left hand side before floating a cross towards the back post where Drury’s shot was blocked in the six-yard box. The ball fell to Simmons who pounced on the loose ball and lashed it into the net.

The Whites responded well to going a goal down and equalised on the ten minute mark. A flick from Grimes sent trialist Linton Karcach away down the right, whose low cross was missed by two City defenders before falling to Kallum Smith. Smith shifted the ball past Imps full back Andrew Wright before drilling the ball low past Aidan Grant in the City goal.

On eighteen minutes, Chris Hall laid the ball into the path of Josh Parker on the half turn. Parker looked for Smith once more with a chipped cross but Smith could only direct his header on to the base of the post. The ball broke back to Smith who shot low but straight at Grant who gathered the ball on the second attempt under pressure from Grimes.

Imps continued to search for a way back into the lead and found the goal they were looking for on the thirty-sixth minute. City worked the ball over to the right where Tempest curled in a cross that was met by a powerful header from centre back Callum Howe, which nestled in the bottom left hand corner.

Three minutes before half time, Howe, who had caused United problems all evening at set pieces, had another chance from a corner kick but this time his header was cleared off the line.

A minute later, United had a golden chance to level. It was Smith once again causing all the problems as he darted down the left, turned Wright inside out and his shot across goal hit the outside of the right hand post.

With half-time seconds away, City had a great opportunity to extend their lead. Hearn’s shot on the turn from Adam Drury’s arrowed cross was saved at point blank range by Townsend.

The second-half was a much quieter affair with both sides making changes to enable as many players as possible to get some minutes on the pitch.

It was City who controlled large periods of the second half, and they put the game to bed in the 72nd minute. Simmons’ shot from the edge of the penalty area was parried to the feet of Hearn who made no mistake from six-yards out.

United had chances late on to get back into the game but City stood firm and held out for a 3-1 victory.

Comments are closed.