Two goals in two minutes keep Lincoln City unbeaten at home

Two goals in two minutes move the Imps up to seventh in the Vanarama National League.

Terry Hawkridge produced a man of the match performance for Lincoln City and grabbed his first goal for the club.

Win leaves Chris Moyses side just outside play off positions. Photo: Luke Vials

Win leaves Chris Moyses side just outside play off positions. Photo: Luke Vials

City were forced to change their midfield due to injuries and suspension. Bradley Wood missed today’s match after he was sent off with 10 minutes to go against Welling and Craig Stanley suffered an injury in the 3-2 win over Chester and is likely to miss four weeks.

However the new look midfield impressed with Greg Tempest showing promise in his first game.

Lincoln’s first chance of the game came after five minutes when a long throw from Chris Bush caused panic in the Braintree box. Liam Hearn’s flick struck the post but he was given offside.

Hawkridge forced Braintree ‘keeper Will Norris into a good low save from a free kick in the 22nd minute. Braintree went straight up the other end and Chez Isaac shot just past the post.

Some careless defending by Chris Moyses side in the 33rd minute allowed Michael Cheek to shoot inches wide.

Two minutes before half time Bush almost got the break through when he forced Norris to tip the ball over from a long range effort.

Both teams had spells of possession in the first half but Lincoln had the more clear-cut chances.

The game woke up after half time with a mad two minute spell. After 52 minutes Hawkridge stole the ball from a Braintree defender and caressed the ball in to the bottom corner. The goal was worthy of the resulting backflip celebration.

Just two minutes later Braintree’s ‘keeper made a mess of a Hawkridge cross and Hearn turned the ball for a classic poachers goal, his seventh of the season.

Braintree had a good opportunity in the 60th minute when Cheek crossed for Kenny Davis who chipped ‘keeper Paul Farman but the effort just cleared the bar.

In the 67th minute great play down the right wing from Jack Muldoon led to a Matt Rhead header being blocked. Lincoln continued to dominate the game with Hawkridge tormenting defenders on the left wing.

Liam Hearn could have made it three nil after 80 minutes. He fed off a Matt Rhead flick on but his effort rattled the cross bar.

Tempers flared up with eight minutes to go when a coming together saw Isaac and Luke Waterfall booked.

Lincoln’s strong defence made it difficult for Braintree to produce chances in the last ten minutes and City certainly deserved their clean sheet.

The win means The Imps are just a point outside the play-off positions with a game in hand on their rivals for promotion.

Attendance: 2565

After the game Assistant Manager Grant Brown said:

“I think it was a comfortable result. We did a good professional job today.

“I thought he (Greg Tempest) did very well, he gives us good balance with his left foot in the middle of the park. It was a very promising debut.

“We’re in a nice position at the moment to kick on with the players that we’ve got.”

Debutant midfielder Greg Tempest said:

“I’m buzzing for the lads that we got another win at home. We’re un-defeated at home and as long as we keep that going that’s all that matters.

“I think we worked a bit harder than them today.”


Comments are closed.