Lincoln City end winless run with victory at home to Guiseley

Chris Bush’s header was enough for Lincoln City to earn a 1-0 victory over Guiseley at Sincil Bank, and bring their miserable run of 11 winless games to an end.

Chris Moyses handed debuts to Jamie McCombe and James Caton, who were both signed during the week, among a total of six changes to the line up following last week’s 3-1 defeat at Wrexham.

Lincoln City finally ended their unwanted record (Photo: LincSport)

Lincoln City finally ended their unwanted record (Photo: LincSport)

Strikers Matt Rhead and Liam Hearn were both missing through injury whilst centre backs Luke Waterfall and Callum Howe were dropped in favour of a partnership of Chris Bush and McCombe.

Terry Hawkridge and Greg Tempest also returned to the side along with Craig Stanley on the occasion of his 500th career league appearance. Jack Muldoon led the line in the absence of Rhead and Hearn.

Apart from an acrobatic volley from Muldoon which flew over the bar in the first couple of minutes, the Imps were unable to mount any serious pressure on the visiting defence until they won two consecutive corners on 26 minutes.

From the second of those deliveries, the Imps took the lead. Guiseley goalkeeper Steven Drench got caught in no man’s land from Tempest’s in-swinger and Bush was able to direct a downward header beyond the covering defenders on the goal line.

The goal settled City down and they had several chances to double their lead whilst Guiseley continued to struggle with defending set pieces. Two Hawkridge corners found their targets but Bush could only steer his shot wide and Drench was able to gather McCombe’s firm header.

McCombe was proving to be an effective weapon for the Imps in both boxes and after his presence caused chaos in the visiting defence, Bush had another opportunity but his effort was well saved by Drench.

City maintained their grip on the game until around midway through the second half when Guiseley introduced Nicky Boshell and former Brighton striker Liam Dickinson for Anthony Dudley and Danny Boshell respectively.

The changes seemed to spark the Yorkshire club into life as James Hurst’s low cross fell to the feet of Adam Boyes but his shot on the turn was well saved by Paul Farman.

However, as the visitors began to commit more bodies forward, City began to create more chances of their own with their pace on the counter attack.

Shrewsbury loanee Caton was released into acres of space after Alan Power intercepted a loose pass before firing a rocket of a shot against the crossbar.

Despite Moyses’ men appearing to be comfortable for most of the game, Guiseley could’ve easily stolen a point in stoppage time.

Drench’s long ball fell for Hurst who drew Farman out of his goal before presenting Rob Atkinson with an open goal but his effort was miraculously headed over the bar by Lee Beevers.

The Imps were able to see out a frantic final few minutes to earn a well deserved first win in two months.

After the match, Lincoln City manager Chris Moyses was full of praise for new additions McCombe and Caton:

“Callum and Luke have done really well for us but there’s no hiding the fact that we’re conceding goals and we needed to change something and that’s what we did.”

“Probably what we have been missing is the old head amongst the young boys – a strong experienced centre half is a massive asset.”

“I thought Caton did really well today. He’s obviously got some good talent, he’s quick, he works hard and he’s exactly what we wanted.”

Comments are closed.