Lincoln United through to the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup

Lincoln United reached the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup after seeing off a stubborn Handsworth Parramore side.

The Whites took the lead early in the first half through Sean Wright and when Gary King scored just after the hour mark they looked to be easing past their opponents from the division below.

However, Handsworth’s Jonathon Froggatt pulled a goal back from the penalty spot to set up a tense finale before Jack McGovern sealed the win for Lincoln in stoppage time.

The Whites have now won sixconsecutive matches in all competitions. (Photo: James Williams)

The Whites have now won six consecutive matches in all competitions. (Photo: James Williams)

The Whites are now in the hat for Monday’s draw which could see them face a side from the National League.

Lincoln started the match brightly and should have opened the scoring within 5 minutes.

McGovern found space in the penalty area and his shot on the turn cannoned off the post and into the goalkeeper’s grateful arms.

Soon after, McGovern was involved again. His long ball over the Handsworth defence picked out strike partner King. With the goalkeeper slightly off his line, King went for the lob but the ball dropped just wide of the post.

However, 10 minutes later, United weren’t to be denied. Sean Wright rose highest to meet Matt Cotton’s corner and his header found its way through a crowd of bodies into the back of the net to give the Whites the lead.

To their credit, Handsworth didn’t let the goal affect them and pressed for an equaliser without testing Lincoln goalkeeper Mario Ziccardi.

In fact, the home side could’ve extended their lead on the stroke of half-time but Gary King’s shot was saved well by the legs of the Handsworth keeper Joseph Green.

With the second half just 10 minutes old, Handsworth had a great chance to equalise. Jonathon Froggatt’s header from point blank range was tipped over the bar brilliantly by Ziccardi.

And on 65 minutes, the visitors were made to pay for failing to make the most of their chances when Lincoln doubled their lead.

McGovern’s perfectly weighted cross picked out King who guided his header back across the goalkeeper and into the bottom corner.

The Whites should’ve extended their lead a couple of minutes later. Matt Cotton raced clear of the Handsworth defence but blazed his shot over the crossbar.

By this point, Lincoln were in control and the game looked to be over when Handsworth were reduced to 10 men.

Michael Harcourt was shown a red card by the referee for an incident off the ball.

However, there was still time for the tie to take another twist when Handsworth were awarded a penalty after an apparent handball by Matt Cotton.

Froggatt converted the penalty to set up a tense end to the match.

Handsworth threw men forward in search of an equaliser but two minutes into stoppage time Jack McGovern wrapped up the win for Lincoln.

McGovern created space for himself in the penalty area and his shot was too powerful for Green to keep out.

The final whistle was greeted with celebrations from the home players, management and fans alike as Lincoln United are now just one round away from the first round proper of the FA Cup.

Comments are closed.