Lincoln City climb to the top of the league after win over Wrexham

Ten man Lincoln City battled to overcome Wrexham in a 1-0 win at Sincil Bank which sees them move to the top of the National League.Lincoln City vs Wrexham 29/11/16

An early goal from Elliot Whitehouse proved to be enough to seal the victory for the Imps, who played the majority of the game a man down after Sean Raggett was sent off.

Lincoln went into the match full of confidence, currently on a 13 match unbeaten run and knowing that a victory would see them overtake Forest Green at the top of the National League.

It was the Imps that started the brighter and dominated the opening proceedings, Sean Raggett heading over from a corner and Nathan Arnold’s shot from inside the area was held by visiting goalkeeper Luke Coddington.

Lincoln were presented with a glorious chance to take the lead on 10 minutes when Matt Rhead was brought down in the box by defender Kai Edwards. Rhead stepped up to the penalty but his attempt lacked power and was well saved by Coddington down to his right hand side.

Just minutes later, the Imps found their opener. A mix-up in the Wrexham area saw the ball fall to Elliot Whitehouse just outside the six yard area whose deflected strike made it 1-0.

Danny Cowley’s side nearly doubled their ten minutes later when Terry Hawkridge set up Rhead on the edge of the box, but he was unable to keep his shot down and it sailed over the crossbar.

But in the 28th minute, Lincoln found themselves down to ten men. Sean Raggett was shown a straight red card after a dangerous challenge on Rob Evans.

The match saw Paul Farman celebrate his 200th game for the club, and Lincoln’s goalkeeper needed to be at his best to keep the visitors from finding an equaliser on 37 minutes. A ball played in from the right hand side for Wrexham found Rekeil Pyke whose close effort range effort was superbly parried away by Farman.

Just before the break, Pyke was presented with another great chance to get his team back in the game. A cross from Paul Rutherford was met by Pyke but he couldn’t quite direct the ball on target and it nestled wide of Farman’s left hand post.

At the start of the second half, Wrexham picked up where they had left off in the first. Rutherford again causing problems down Lincoln’s left hand side. The winger cut the ball back to John Rooney but his first time effort flew over the bar.

The most controversial moment of the second half came on 57 minutes. A late challenge on Elliot Whitehouse by Gerry McDonagh saw the referee produce a yellow card, when it could’ve just have easily been a red.

Despite the huge amount of Wrexham pressure, it was Lincoln that went closest to scoring. Sam Habergham’s free kick from just outside the 18 yard box curled just inches wide of the goalkeeper’s right hand post.

Lincoln did a tremendous job of sitting back and soaking up pressure from their opponents but were lucky not to concede with just minutes of the game left to play. A mix up in the Lincoln area saw the ball fall to Robbie Evans on the half volley who blazed his shot over from just few yards out.

The full time whistle blew to an eruption of cheers from players and supporters a like as the result takes the Imps to the top of the National League table.

After the match, Danny Cowley said he was delighted with his team’s “tremendous spirit, physical fitness, determination and concentration”.

Comments are closed.