Lincoln Castle has been voted the most popular castle in the UK, after finishing in first place in an online poll.
The contest, which was launched by the website Holiday Lettings, saw the tourist attraction win with 5,166 votes – over 3,000 more than the runner up, Bamburgh Castle in Northumberland.
12 castles made the competition shortlist, with Edinburgh Castle, Stirling Castle and Windsor Castle also being included in the poll.
In a press release, site manager Kimberley Vickers said: “From me and all the staff here at Lincoln Castle, a big thank you to everyone who voted to make us the UK’s most popular castle.
“Our top priority is making sure our visitors have the best day out possible and experience all the beauty, stories and history that the castle has to offer.
“This award means a lot because it’s voted for by the public and we’re really happy to have support from our local, national and international visitors.”
Here’s the full shortlist, with the vote shares and number of votes:
- Lincoln Castle – 5,166 votes (43%)
- Bamburgh Castle – 2,007 votes (17%)
- Durham Castle – 1,323 votes (11%)
- Edinburgh Castle – 786 votes (7%)
- Stirling Castle – 666 votes (6%)
- Raby Castle – 626 votes (5%)
- Dunnottar Castle – 568 votes (5%)
- Colchester Castle – 410 votes (3%)
- Berkeley Castle – 231 votes (2%)
- Ludlow Castle – 132 votes (1%)
- Windsor Castle – 96 votes (1%)
- Skipton Castle – 52 votes (0%)