Lincoln United start home season with goalless draw

Lincoln United kicked off their home season with a goalless draw at home to newly promoted Peterborough Sports at Ashby Avenue.

Conner Robinson had the Whites’ best chance during the second half, but while Lincoln had the better of the play after half time they couldn’t force home their advantage and had to settle for a point.

In truth it was a game which, while not lacking effort and neat passages of play, was devoid of any real quality in the final third.

Looking to build on Saturday’s impressive opening day win at Chasetown, Whites boss Sam Wilkinson name the same side as they sought to keep up their early 100% record.

Lincoln United manager Sam Wilkinson named an unchanged side for their first home league game

But neither side truly grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck at any stage, and genuine goal chances were few and far between.

It was the visitors who had the first real sight of goal when a deep cross from the left found Avelino Viera, whose first time shot was deflected by wide.

At the other end, United skipper Phil Watt headed onto the roof of the net in the hosts’ closest effort of an even opening 45 minutes.

Indeed, it was the 51st minute before either ‘keeper was forced into a save, home stopper Jake Turner comfortably dealing with Viera’s curling 20-yarder.

Then Lincoln started to get on top. First, Jack Wightwick pulled a corner back to Robinson, who saw a goalbound flick deflected over, before the best chance of the game on 65 minutes.

It was Robinson again who had it. Luke Hornsey and Matt Cotton made good ground down the right hand side, the latter finding Robinson in half a yard of space eight yards out. With the supporters waiting for the net to bulge, Robinson took a touch but dragged wide as Peterborough survived.

The visitors’ Josh Moreman saw a shot blocked in an increasingly rare Peterborough attack, while substitute Ryan Oliver just failed to connect with Robinson’s cross for Lincoln.

As the game entered the final stages, a goal became increasingly unlikely with both sides defending resolutely. The best chance either side had late on came through Oliver, who found space in the box to chest down but his touch was heavy and rolled harmlessly through to ‘keeper Aaron Butcher.

It means the Whites have taken four points from their opening two Evo-Stik Division One South games heading into Saturday’s Emirates FA Cup tie against Belper Town.

Comments are closed.