Torquay United 2 — Lincoln City 3

Attendance: 2,547

The Linc’s man of the match: Davide Somma

Lincoln City moved one step closer to securing League Two safety on Saturday 20th March, winning 2–3 away against Torquay.

On loan Davide Somma, who broke the deadlock for the Imps on nine minutes went on to score another along with Cian Hughton, enabling the Imps to move further away from the dreaded dropzone.

After Drewe Broughton was recalled to Rotherham United and Matthew Saunders sidelined due to injury, Imps manager Chris Sutton was left with no option but to change they side that drew at home to Dagenham in midweek. Paul Green and Paul Connor both respectively taking place in the City line-up.

The game itself was always going to be an exciting affair, mainly due to the weather but also because both clubs were in need of vital points as the season nears its conclusion.

The Lincoln faithful did not have to wait long for the opening goal as on nine minutes Davide Somma, on loan from Leeds United, broke through to smash home his fourth for the Imps. City pressed for a quickfire double but it was the Seasiders who would score next. Captain Scott Kerr, who has been ever present in the Lincoln starting 11 lost possession allowing pacey winger Mustapha Carayol to break free down the left flank before slotting in back to Nicky Wroe, who duly finished on 29 minutes.

City went into half time one a piece but had alot to be positive about and it was not long before the Imps’ faithful would have another goal to celebrate. In fact it took less than ten minutes from the restart for Lincoln to further their lead when on 53 minutes a loose ball from Somma was picked up by Cian Hughton in an unlikely position and blasted home to make it 1–2.

Chris Sutton and his side ensured another goal four minutes later, when man of the match Somma played upon Seasiders’ Mark Ellis’ mistake and calmly dribbled past stopper Scott Bevan placing the ball into the open net making it 1–3.

There would however be a consolation goal for Torquay, who have languished in the bottom half of League Two for the majority of the season as striker Chris Zebroski made the most of lacklustre defending from City scoring on 76 minutes making the scoreline 2–3.

This win leaves Lincoln looking comfortable with only nine games of the campaign left to play. City host Northampton Town at Sincil Bank in their next match on Saturday 27th March, where they will be searching for another three points against a Cobblers team that will prove to be a tough test and full of confidence after beating Morecambe 2–0.