Even though the atmosphere was boosted thanks to the free tickets for students offer that the football club provided, Lincoln vs Tamworth was destined for a 0-0 draw from the word go.

2603 supporters made their way to Sincil Bank on a cold Tuesday night, with many of these being the student contingent. However, the game didn’t live up to the hype that was being created by the crowd and a distinctly average game unfolded over the next 90 minutes.

As the game started, you could see it was set to be an aerial battle, and the ball was in the air a lot more than it was being played on the ground.

The game seemingly bypassed the midfield as both defences took a route one approach and played the long ball end to end.

The game sparked somewhat in the 9th minute, as Tamworth goalkeeper was challenged by Imps striker Ben Tomlinson for the ball on the byline. Tomlinson put in a seemingly fair challenge on Belford, but the stopper seemed to think otherwise and somewhat lashed out the the striker. The crowd roared but the ref only gave Belford a verbal warning.

Tamworth employed their route one approach in their attacks too. Every corner and free kick they had, the box was packed with bodies attacking the ball in. Not one player held back in case of a counter attack.

The Imps’ first corner came 13 minutes in, and following a scramble both inside and outside of the box, Tomlinson blazed his shot over. Foster nicked the ball over the defence, and Tomlinson, on instinct, struck the ball and it sailed over the bar, out of harm’s way.

Jon Nolan got the crowd going again after a run which started in his own half. The midfielder carried the ball around 40 yards before slipping full-back Miller in behind the defence. His shot was then saved by the Tamworth keeper and the chance was gone.

Tamworth responded with an attack that saw a huge penalty claim turned down by referee Peter Bankes. Tamworth continued to protest, but Bankes stopped the game to talk to several of the players

Luke Foster was the first player of the game to get booked on 21 minutes after a late challenge in midfield. The resulting free-kick came to nothing.

Nolan went over injured 27 minutes in, but after treatment from the physio, he was able to carry on.

Tamworth striker showed a lot of promise after skipping past 3 Imps defenders, but his shot was tame, and Farman saved easily.

Lloyd Kerry got the first yellow for Tamworth after a reckless challenge on Foster which had the whole crowd take in a short sharp breath in unity.

The game then fizzled out as the ref blew for half time.

The second half started as the first ended. Both teams seemed lackluster in both their attacking and defending.

Early on, the ball was passed back to Tamworth goalkeeper Belford by his defence, which he sliced horrifically, to gift Lincoln a corner. However it was to no avail, as Power struck wide after a small string of pressure.

The 16 Tamworth fans were celebrating as they thought striker Ellford-Alliyu had scored, but seconds later they realised it was just the side netting that he struck.

Tamworth built on that pressure, and forced Farman into a fantastic save from close range. Defender Duane Courtney then put the follow up wide from 5 yard, but this mattered not as the linesman had already flagged for an offside decision.

The Imps then stepped up a gear and were on the attack. Foster had his shot cleared off the line after Belford came for the ball from a free-kick 10 yards inside the Tamworth half, but instead flapped at the ball and missed it, gifting him the chance.

Lincoln continued to dominate, but no real chances were created. Crosses from the full-backs and long throw-ins seemed to be the tactics from Gary Simpson’s side.

A late free kick from the Imps caused chaos in the Tamworth area as a scramble took place and the ball was eventually put out for a corner.

The resulting set piece saw a goal-line scramble, but the ball was cleared by Tamworth, and Miller was booked for a challenge on substitute Woolery which got the crowd raoring.

Woolery was then booked himself after a challenge on Imps keeper Farman, which sparked a number of player from both teams to rush to the scene and create chaos on the pitch.

Richard Peniket also picked up a yellow card for Tamworth after an attempted block from a Paul Farman kick.

The resulting pressure from Lincoln proved to be the last move of the game, and the ref blew for full time.

Lincoln’s next game is at home to Aldershot on Saturday, 12th October.

Farman – 6 – an easy game for the keeper, with little chances on goal. However, the ones that were on target he saved comfortably.

Newton – 7 – had a great attacking game on the left, good link up play with Jordan

Brown – 6 – looked a bit shaky at times, but overall did well.

Boyce – 6- also looked unsteady, but when called upon did a good job

Miller – 7 – good attacking game. Used his long throw ins well.

Foster – 6 -had a good game. Good in midfielder and good defensive work

Nolan – 8 – had an outstanding game as highlighted by his 40-yard run. Linc Sport’s man of the match.

Jordan – 7 – good atttacking and link up play with Newton was good.

Power – 7 – had a great game, both going forward and tracking back. Absolute work horse for the club.

Wright – 7 – worked hard up front, but wasn’t getting the supply he needed from midfield.

Tomlinsion – 6- relatively quiet game, but worked hard and chased the ball well.

Fairhurst – 7 – looked promising for the short time he was on the field

Dixon – 6 – added little to the game as he came on.