Tom Miller scored the only goal of the game for the second week running as Lincoln made it back-to-back home wins with a 1-0 success over Southport.

After an even first half, Miller rose tallest to header home Sean Newton’s corner.

Southport put Chris Moyses and Grant Brown’s men under pressure late on put the Imps back four stood firm to gain all three points.

Lincoln made it back-to-back home wins
Lincoln made it back-to-back home wins

Lincoln made two changes from last Saturday’s 1-0 win over Dartford with Jordan Burrow coming in for the suspended Delano Sam-Yorke and Jon Nolan replacing the injured Nat Brown.

And it was one of those new faces, Nolan, who had a glorious opportunity to give the hosts the lead as early as the first minute.

The midfielder struck the post from a matter of yards after Ben Tomlinson’s initial effort was saved by Southport goalkeeper David Raya Martin.

Having weathered the early storm, Southport grew in confidence and nearly took the lead themselves in the ninth minute as Joe Connor’s flicked effort was spectacularly turned over by Paul Farman in the Lincoln goal.

Lincoln’s captain Alan Power tried hard to create something for his side and after some good play in the middle, sent Tomlinson away down the left but his cross was intercepted by the first man.

With the half drawing to the close, Lincoln had a great chance to take the lead.

Tomlinson did well to hold the ball up on the right switching the ball to left-back Newton whose cross was agonisingly close to finding Burrow.

Any kind of connection from the England C international and the ball would have found the back of the net.

The warning served to spark Southport, and their experienced striker Richard Brodie, into life as he cut in from the left and fired a powerful effort that Farman had to get a strong fist on to turn the ball over the bar.

Half time: Lincoln City 0-0 Southport

Just as in the first half, it was the hosts that started the on the front foot, and Nolan could have again given the Imps the lead.

The ball fell to the 22-year-old 15 yards from goal but his low drive was well saved by Raya Martin.

Lincoln continued to dominate possession but lacked the quality to open up the visitors defence with Tomlinson guilty of a number of poor touches.

The dominance eventually told as the hosts took the lead in the 62nd minute.

Centre-back Tom Miller, last Saturday’s match winner, shrugged off his marker to power a header home from an inviting Sean Newton corner.

The Imps found a new sense of purpose and could have double their lead soon after.

The influential Newton burst down the left and delivered a dangerous low ball and on the stretch Jordan Burrow couldn’t find the target.

Despite being under the cosh for long spells, Southport were far from done and nearly levelled as Micah Evans’ shot was deflected wide.

As the game entered the final ten minutes, the visitors started to push men forward and substitute Amadou Bakayoko found space outside the area before striking over the bar.

Southport launched an aerial attack in stoppage time but Lincoln’s defence held firm to ensure a valuable three points, their second in successive matches.

Lincoln joint caretaker manager Chris Moyses:

“We played a lot better today. Attacking wise we were a lot better going forward, I thought first half in particular we played really well and could have had a couple of goals.”

“The clean sheets are massive for us, we were shipping a few goals but we have plugged a gap. Even though they had a few chances today, Farman made a few great saves.”

On goal-scorer Tom Miller: “He’s not bad is he? Because he’s not the biggest they [the opposition] tend not to pay a lot of attention to Tom, but he is a good leaper and he has absolutely nailed it again.”

Attendance: 2,034

Referee: David Rock