Sean Wright’s hat-trick helped Lincoln United ease to a 4-0 win against Kidsgrove Athletic.

After a poor first half, the sides went in level at the break but Wright’s hat-trick and a Jack McGovern penalty saw the Whites complete a comprehensive victory at the Sun Hat Villas Stadium.

Lincoln United eased to victory, putting them just three points outside the play-offs (Photo: James Wiliams)
Lincoln United eased to victory, putting themselves just three points outside the play-offs (Photo: James Williams)

United went into the match just three points shy of the play-off positions in the Evo-Stik First Division South following their 3-1 win over Loughborough Dynamo on Tuesday evening.

And despite Kidsgrove sitting in 16th in the league, this was a tough test for the Whites and it took them twenty seven minutes to create the match’s first opportunity. Gary King’s drilled effort from close range was superbly saved by Ben Chapman.

In truth, that was the only action of any note in what was a dour first half but Whites assistant manager Sam Wilkinson’s half time words worked.

United were a transformed side in the second half and six minutes after the interval they took the lead. Sean Wright climbed highest at the back post to head in Robert Norris’s deep corner.

With the match still in the balance at 1-0, the turning point came on the hour mark. Tom Morris’s late challenge on United right back Jordan Lemon was deemed reckless by referee Edward Cook, who subsequently sent the Kidsgrove defender off.

From the resulting free kick, the Whites doubled their lead. Sean Wright was once again on hand to head the ball in via the crossbar.

United were in complete control and extended their lead with fifteen minutes remaining. Norris was tripped as he dribbled into the penalty area and Jack McGovern stepped up to convert the resulting penalty.

With ten minutes remaining, Wright grabbed his hat-trick for the Whites. Another Norris free kick caused chaos in the Kidsgrove penalty area and Wright was on hand to poke the ball into the net.

That proved to be the end of the scoring for United and Kidsgrove should of scored a late consolation but captain Anthony Malbon dragged his shot inches wide when through on goal.