Substitutes Matt Rhead and George Maris combined late on to earn Lincoln City a 2-1 victory over Chester, in the week that manager Chris Moyses announced he would be leaving at the end of the season.

The Imps took the lead during the first half through Leeds United loanee Robbie McDaid, before half-time substitute James Alabi equalised for the away side.

Lincoln City responded well to the news of Chris Moyses' end of season departure (Photo: Elliott Dalton)
Lincoln City responded well to the news of Chris Moyses’ end of season departure (Photo: Elliott Dalton)

Then, on 82 minutes, substitute Matt Rhead knocked down a long ball for another of Moyses’ second half changes, George Maris, who took one touch before lashing past Chester ‘keeper Tony Thompson.

The game started slowly, but City had the best of the opening encounters. They came close on five minutes when Robbie McDaid headed Terry Hawkridge’s cross onto the woodwork, with Thompson beaten.

Hawkridge himself came close midway through the first period, after a weaving run down the left ended with a last ditch block to deny his goal bound effort from close range.

Then came the breakthrough, Elliot Hodge and Hawkridge linked down the left hand side, with the latter whipping a pinpoint cross into the centre where Robbie McDaid rised highest to glance the ball on.

The goal was the piece of quality that the first half had been lacking. Chester begun the second half far better, with Johnny Hunt and Ross Hannah both going close, but without testing Paul Farman in the City goal.

The home side should have made it two shortly after, another accurate Hawkridge cross from the left found Jack Muldoon unmarked at the back post, but he could only volley straight into the grateful arms of Thompson, either side of him would have doubled the Imps’ lead.

Chester’s Tom Shaw then went close from 25 yards, before the equaliser did come on 74 minutes.

Neat work from midfield saw John Rooney chip the ball towards the back post from the right, and half time substitute Alabi was there to crash home the header from close range.

But, City bounced straight back and with eight minutes remaining, found the eventual winner. A long, diagonal ball into the box was knocked down by top scorer Rhead, and substitute Maris was there to volley home from 10 yards, leaving no chance for Thompson in the Chester goal.

City pressed for another goal late on, but could not find it. They did hang on though for their first win in six games, against a lacklustre Chester side who face a relegation scrap at the foot of the table.

The Imps climb to eleventh place, and grant Chris Moyses a win in his penultimate home game as manager.

Full-time: Lincoln City 2-1 Chester