Lincoln United crashed out of the FA Cup 4th qualifying round after being comprehensively beaten 3-0 by Spennymoor Town at Ashby Avenue.

The game started with real intensity and the first chance went to the away side as Spenymoor’s Kallum Griffiths crossed in for David Dowson but the ball was headed straight into the hands of Lincoln United goalkeeper, Mario Ziccardi.

Just 11 minutes into the first half, Ziccardi then gave away a penalty. After initially missing the first ball, Ziccardi attempted to retrieve it only for Spennymooor Town striker, Graeme Armstrong to take advantage of Ziccardi’s loss of concentration.

Tait scores the penalty to give Spennymoor the lead. (Photo Credit: Danny Adamson)
Tait scores the penalty to give Spennymoor the lead. (Photo Credit: Danny Adamson)

From the following mistake Ziccardi upended the forward and referee, Joe Hull blew the whistle and pointed to the spot. Up then stepped Spennymoor captain Joseph Tait, who calmly slotted home.

Straight from kick off Lincoln United went straight up the other end and could have had a penalty of their own. Kallum Smith made an excellent run into the box and then collided with one of Spennymoor defenders, but the referee waved away any claims of a spot kick and called play on.

As United grew back into the game Spennymoor dealt a vital blow as they went 2-0 up through David Dowson. As Ziccardi attempted to clear the ball he completely missed it only for Dowson to come in behind the keeper and finish into an empty net.

Dowson double's Spennymoor's lead.(Photo Credit: Danny Adamson)
Dowson double’s Spennymoor’s lead.(Photo Credit: Danny Adamson)

As half-time approached the away side could have been 3-0 with Louie Swain clipping the bar from the left side. United then thought they had pulled a goal back through Sam Mullarkey but the referee pulled it back for an offside.

The second half wasn’t as intense as the first as the players from both sides started to tire.

As the game reached its end Spennymoor scored a third through Graeme Armstrong. The ball was delivered into the box from a corner and he was then left by himself at the front post and the striker powered home from five yards out.


The game started to die out towards the end and the referee blew for the final whistle. United will now turn their attentions back to the League and FA Trophy.