Harry Swift scored with the last hit of the game to rescue a point for Lindum Hockey Club Men’s First Team, as they drew 4-4 with Preston.

Lindum took the lead through Robert Johnstone, but had to come from behind on two occasions to secure the draw.

Lindum came back late to get a draw against Preston. Photo: Elliott Dalton
Lindum came back late to get a draw against Preston. Photo: Elliott Dalton

Mike White scored twice, both from penalty corners, the second putting the home side 3-2 up, but Lindum looked to have lost it late on when Keehan Quill put Preston 4-3 ahead with just two minutes left, but Swift converted with the final blow of the game to see the sides share the points.

Coming into the game on the back of four straight defeats, Lindum needed a good start and they had that thanks to Robert Johnstone, whose deflection on 12 minutes gave them the lead.

But Preston struck straight back within two minutes, Gabriel Benatar took advantage of some sloppy defensive work from Lindum to level the scores and tap into an empty goal.

It was Preston who then took the lead just before half time, Liam Cassidy’s drag flick from a penalty corner took a deflection off defender Matt Ingram’s stick, leaving goalkeeper Matt Ward helpless in the Lindum goal.

It was 2-1 to the visitors at the break but it didn’t last long, as Lindum converted their own penalty corner, Mike White drag flicking comprehensively to draw the scores level again at 2-2.

On 56 minutes, the game flipped on its head once again, as Lindum took the lead for the second time, with White scoring his second too, flicking once again from another penalty corner in almost identical fashion.

Two minutes later Preston’s task became much harder when Owen Fletcher was given a yellow card for dissent, seeing him sent to the sidelines for 10 minutes.

But the away side rallied and scored two goals in three minutes thanks to Liam Cassidy’s second and Keehan Quill looked to have won it with just two minutes remaining when he reacted quickest to Matt Ward’s save in the Lindum goal.

Ian Ferraby was then shown a yellow card for Lindum, but that didn’t stop the home side earning a draw with the last hit of the game, Harry Swift taking advantage of a scramble in the Preston area and hitting home to earn a deserved draw for Lindum.