University of Lincoln's seconds take on the University of Birmingham's thirds.

University of Lincoln’s seconds were knocked out of the East Midlands Cup by University of Birmingham’s thirds in a 6-0 defeat after the match was abandoned.

Midfielder Hannah Vincent opened the scoring for the visitors in the third minute as she rounded keeper Hayley Moxom before side-footing it into the open net.

And Vincent doubled her side’s lead just five minutes later as her dipping volley from 25 yards proved too much for Moxom, who got her fingertips to it but couldn’t keep it out.

Birmingham continued their dominant display as Jo Butler extended their lead to three goals in the 10th minute with a well-placed header into the top-left corner.

University of Lincoln's seconds take on the University of Birmingham's thirds.
University of Lincoln’s seconds take on the University of Birmingham’s thirds. Photo Credit: Ryan Petterson


The game finally began to settle after a hectic first 10 minutes as the home side looked to stay stronger at the back and focus on trying to catch the visitors on the counter attack.

But Birmingham managed to get their fourth in the 24th minute as Abigail Asante broke free with just Moxom to beat and placed it into the bottom-right corner.

Ciara Albas almost made it five before the half-hour mark as she skipped past the Lincoln defence but Moxom did well to keep it out.

The first-half was fairly even in terms of play despite the scoreline. However, Birmingham took their chances and were unrelenting in front of goal.

The visitors made a substitution at half-time, bringing on Stephanie Cope for striker Asante.

Midfielder Rebecca Siefers almost got her side back in it just a minute into the second-half but her edge-of-the-box effort drifted just wide of the right post.

And in the 50th minute, Birmingham made the home side pay for not taking their chances as Olivia Thomson saw her well-placed effort dart into the bottom-right corner to make it 5-0.

Lincoln’s first sub of the game came seven minutes later as winger Zola Allen replaced Grace Leonard.

Allen didn’t take long to add more energy into the Lincoln side. She caused the visitors problems down the left-wing with her pace and trickery to get past defenders.

Morgan Leach came close for Lincoln on the hour mark as she used her quick feet to get past several Birmingham players before Sylvie Ashe snubbed out the danger in the box.

Birmingham made a sub a couple of minutes later as Eleanor Barnett came on for Kate Lennon.

The visitors bagged their final goal of the game in the 66th minute with sub Stephanie Cope tapping it in from a yard out after a goal-line scramble.

Lincoln looked to change it up and get a consolation goal and so brought on Amie Prickett for Annabell Knell in the 73rd minute.

However, the match was abandoned in the 80th minute after Alexandra Nicholson turned awkwardly and twisted her knee. She had a slight niggle with it in training last night but the in-game incident aggravated it further and paramedics quickly came to see to the player.

Birmingham’s Suzi Taylor said: “Getting the early goal just boosted our confidence and got the team going for the rest of the match.”

Taylor also wished Lincoln’s injured Nicholson a speedy recovery.

“We just all hope she gets better quickly,” she said.

Birmingham captain Abby Cartwright said the team are now aiming to go on and lift the trophy at the end of the competition.

She said: “We’re still focusing on the league, which is very tight but winning the cup is our main goal.”