Lincoln City survived a late Chesterfield comeback to earn an important 2-1 win at Sincil Bank.

Michael Bostwick’s deflected strike and an own goal by Chesterfield’s Andy Kellet put Lincoln 2-0 up at the break and despite the visitors pulling a goal back from the penalty spot late on, the Imps held on to secure the three points.

There was another big crowd at Sincil Bank to watch Lincoln earn a hard-fought victory. (Photo: Connor Creaghan)

Lincoln went into the match on the back of victory over Barnet, followed by a goalless draw with local rivals Grimsby Town and they started the more confident side.

However, for all their early dominance the Imps didn’t create any chance of note until they took the lead on 17 minutes.

Winger Harry Anderson laid the ball back to Michael Bostwick on the edge of the penalty area and his strike took a wicked deflection off a Chesterfield defender and flew into the net past the stranded goalkeeper Joe Anyon.

There will be some debate as to whether it was an own goal or Bostwick’s first for City.

Regardless, it was the perfect start for Danny Cowley’s side and urged on by a vociferous home crowd of over 9,000 fans, City soon doubled their advantage.

Once again, Anderson was involved. This time he showed real persistence to reach the byeline and his drilled cross was met by Chesterfield defender Andy Kellet who diverted the ball into his own net from close range.

This sparked wild celebrations on the home bench with Imps manager Danny Cowley leaping into the arms of brother and assistant Nicky in delight at their side’s clinical start to the game.

But it wasn’t plain sailing from there for the hosts. As the rain poured at Sincil Bank, City seemed to lose some of their control over the game and Chesterfield began to see more of the ball.

And with just over five minutes of the first half remaining, the Spireites almost pulled a goal back. Jordan Flore’s curled a free kick over City’s wall, but Imps goalkeeper Josh Vicker’s pulled off a superb save at full stretch to keep the ball out.

The second half continued in a similar fashion with Chesterfield having the majority of possession, looking to find a way back into the match.

But, Lincoln should have extended their lead on 57 minutes. Michael Bostwick’s cross picked out Ollie Palmer who’s header struck the top of the crossbar on its way over.

And five minutes later, City had another opportunity to go three goals ahead. This time, Michael Bostwick was found unmarked in the penalty area, but his goal-bound header was cleared off of the line.

As the match wore on, it looked unlikely that Chesterfield would find a way back into the game. However, with eight minutes remaining, Harry Anderson bundled over Chesterfield’s Bradley Barry in the penalty area, and the referee pointed to the penalty spot, much to the frustration of the home fans.

Kristian Dennis sent the Imps goalkeeper Josh Vickers the wrong way to half the deficit and set up a nervy end to the game.

But Lincoln held on to go three games unbeaten and move to within two points of the League Two playoffs.