Lincoln City were held to a second consecutive home league goalless draw in a stalemate with Crawley Town at Sincil Bank.

There’s always a special feeling around Sincil Bank for the Remembrance Day fixture and that feeling would have been heightened with a win against 19th placed Crawley.

But the Imps didn’t live up to expectation at home once again, failing to score at Sincil Bank for the second league game in a row.

Despite a draw, City did manage to move up a place to ninth in Sky Bet League Two, while the visitors remain 19th.

More than 8,000 fans were at Sincil Bank to witness Lincoln’s second home league goalless draw in a row

The Imps started brightly but failed to get a hold on the game and chances were few and far between for both sides.

The first chance for City came after four minutes when Matt Rhead’s knock down found Matt Green in the box but his swivelling right foot shot went just wide.

Nathan Arnold found space in behind the Crawley defence a few minutes later but he couldn’t keep his shot down.

Ten minutes into the game Josh Vickers’ ball from the back found Rhead, who picked out Arnold on the edge of the box. He turned his man and shot, only to see the ball deflect behind.

Crawley’s first real opportunity came in the 22nd minute when Dannie Bulman’s through ball found Enzio Boldewijn. He squared the ball for Panatuche Camara but Vickers produced a good low save in the Lincoln goal.

On the half hour mark Crawley had a good chance to take the lead after Camara pulled the ball back for Josh Yorwerth who unleashed a stinging effort, however Vickers made a good save down low to his right.

With seven minutes to go before half time, City felt they should have had a penalty when Rhead was bundled over in the box, but referee Handley awarded Crawley a free-kick, much to the bewilderment of many in the ground.

Just before the break Jordan Maguire-Drew’s corner found Green on the six yard box. His header went over the bar but the referee had already blown his whistle for yet another free-kick in the Crawley area, with both sides clearly getting frustrated with the referee constantly stopping play.

Three minutes in to the second half City should have taken the lead. Neal Eardley, with some great work down the right wing to beat his man, produced a brilliant cross for Rhead but his header cannoned back off the crossbar.

In the 62nd minute Sean Raggett almost gifted the visitors a goal when he was lost possession after failing to clear his lines, fortunately for the Imps defender Crawley striker Camara blasted his attempt over the bar and in to the Stacey West stand.

The home side were dominating possession but kept failing to produce that killer pass or cross to break down the Crawley defence.

With 12 minutes to go Vickers’ ball from his own area picked out Rhead who headed on to Green but he couldn’t get any power behind his header.

Crawley won a throw in down the left ten minutes before time, the ball fell to Jimmy Smith and he smashed a volley that was expertly saved by Vickers to keep the game goalless.

The final ten minutes of normal time and an extra five for stoppages still couldn’t produce anything of value for either side, as City continuously failed to break down the opposition.

Overall another disappointing attacking performance from the Imps, although positives must be taken though from another clean sheet for Cowley’s defence.

The Imps may have gone up place but the they fall back to three points off the play-offs.

The team’s focus now turns to the first round of the FA Cup next week away at AFC Wimbledon. Imps fans will be waiting with anticipation to see if the Cowleys can produce another famous cup run.