Lincoln City progressed to the coveted 3rd round of the FA Cup thanks to goals from Matt Rhead and John Akinde.

Both sides came into the game in mixed form, with Lincoln drawing their previous two games 1-1, whilst Carlisle also came into the game after a 1-1 draw with Notts County. The teams also drew in their last game against each other in October.

The game got off to a lively start with Lincoln City showing no sign of midweek fatigue, as Bruno Andrade displayed fantastic skills to make space on the left side and cross to the back post, where Matt Rhead knocked it in for Lincoln’s first and his 50th for the club.

He said after the match “It’s nice to be able to leave a bit of history behind when I leave football.”

The attendance at Sincil Bank for the second round FA Cup tie was 6438.
Photo: Alex Slater

Carlisle found a foothold in the game at 10 minutes, as a low driven cross was partly cleared to Regan Slater, who smashed a low strike towards Vickers’ right hand side. The Lincoln keeper was relieved to watch the effort cannon off the post and away.

Matt Green showed great tenacity today, but it was highlighted most when he chased down a Carlisle defender, and won possession inside his opposition’s area. He squared it to Harry Anderson, whose shot went just wide of the right post.

Half time Lincoln City 1-0 Carlisle United

Carlisle United started the second half as the better side, with a chance coming with 55 minutes gone, as Hope struck an arrowing effort from the right hand side, it took a mixture of Harry Toffolo and Josh Vickers to block, and then clear.

Lincoln’s first big chance of the second half fell to Frecklington, who was the benefactor of some Anderson trickery. As the defenders struggled to clear it came to Frecklington who hit it first time at the goal, but Collin was able to spring to Carlisle’s rescue and save.

Frecklington may feel he should’ve had a few today, as he missed another golden opportunity, this time courtesy of a floated corner. He was left unmarked, but upon meeting the ball, flicked it horribly over the bar and quickly dove his head into his hands as a result.

Bruno Andrade sparked Lincoln’s second goal to finish off the game, as he chased the ball fantastically on the left wing before cutting in and sweeping a low left footed cross into the area, for substitute John Akinde to knock home on the 86th minute.

Danny Cowley couldn’t be happier about Lincoln’s progression, saying, “your Christmas dinner tastes so much better when you’re still in the FA Cup.”

Full time: Lincoln City 2-0 Carlisle United