Lincoln City battled hard to come from two goals behind to draw 2-2 with Blackpool at LNER Stadium.

It was the first game in two weeks for the Imps after an outbreak of Covid-19 within the squad.

The Imps, though, were tasked with facing one of the most in-form teams in League One. Blackpool had lost just one of their last 16 games, and were undefeated in their last 13.

Michael Appleton made four changes to his side that lost 2-1 to Oxford United on March 26. Callum Morton replaced Anthony Scully, while Brennan Johnson came in for Harry Anderson in the other attacking change. Max Sanders and Adam Jackson also came into the side, replacing Liam Bridcutt and TJ Eyoma.

Imps Lack a Cutting Edge in Even First Half

It was a slow opening 10 minutes from both sides. Callum Morton received an early booking after a foul on Blackpool goalkeeper Chris Maxwell, while Tayo Edun’s cross into the box in the 5th minute could not find an Imps shirt.

Blackpool had the first chance of the game in the 15th minute after Ellis Simms was slipped in behind the Imps’ defence with a superb through ball, but his effort was denied and sent behind for a corner.

Alex Palmer was then called into action moments later after the Seasiders were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box. Sullay Kaikai stepped up for the visitors, but the Imps goalkeeper was there to make the save once again.

Both teams continued to struggle to force a chance at goal. Blackpool looked the more threatening, but Lincoln looked threatening on the break with the pace of Brennan Johnson and Morgan Rogers.

Conor McGrandles then should have opened the scoring for Lincoln in the 34th minute. The Scotsman rounded the Blackpool goalkeeper, but his shot could only find the side netting.

Lincoln City vs Blackpool. Photo: Ben Robinson

Ellis Simms opened the scoring for the visitors on 37 minutes. Calls for a foul on Conor McGrandles were denied by the referee, allowing for the Everton loanee to fire into the top corner.

It was a deserved lead for the visitors. The Imps had their chances, but were sloppy in possession and lacked a cutting-edge during the first half.

Imps Take the Game to Blackpool

Appleton opted to make a double substitution at half-time. Harry Anderson and Joe Walsh replaced Max Sanders and Lewis Monstma, as the Imps looked to attack the visitors in the second half.

However, the Imps were then tasked with a mountain to climb, as Blackpool doubled the lead in the 48th minute via a calm finish from Sullay KaiKai.

City continued to the pressure the visitors in search of a way back into the game, forcing Maxwell into making his first save of the game in the 59th minute after a powerful Adam Jackson header.

Lincoln City’s LNER Stadium hosted the FA Youth Cup tie. Photo: Harvey Conyers

Blackpool then had the chance to make it 3-0 in the 73rd minute. It was Ellis Simms once more for the visitors, as the forward broke down the left-hand side before firing at Alex Palmer.

The Imps pulled one back in the 75th minute. An attempt to punch the ball away by Maxwell failed, falling into the path of Anthony Scully, who fired home with a superb volley.

After continuing to battle hard, Lincoln were rewarded for their efforts with an equaliser in the 84th minute. Brennan Johnson was slipped in behind the visiting defence by Anthony Scully before firing home powerful beyond the reach of Maxwell.

After late pressure, the Imps could not find the winner. However, it will prove to be a valuable point to come the end of the season, with the play-offs now the target for Michael Appleton’s side.

The Imps are next in action at home to MK Dons on Tuesday, 13 April.