After a hard-fought win against Ipswich Town on Saturday, Lincoln were looking to build on that with a performance against Newcastle United U21’s in the Papa John’s trophy.

Sitting third in the Northern Group E, after a win and a loss, Lincoln needed a win to progress from the group.

The game started brightly for the Imps when Danny Mandroiu was played through on goal early on, before he was stopped as a Newcastle defender came across to make a tackle to stop the home side from taking an early lead.

Lincoln cemented their confident start to the game as they went ahead within the first ten minutes. Mandroiu grabbed his first goal for the Imps as he became free in the box and expertly placed his strike into the bottom left corner.

An unfortunate injury to Oakley-Boothe provided the chance for Jacob Davenport to enter the fray. His first appearance since coming back from injury.

In the 32nd minute Lincoln City had the ball in the back of the net for the second time as a save from the Newcastle keeper led to it rebounding into Jordon’s Garrick’s knee and into the back of the net, before being ruled out for offside.

Imps vs Newcastle 18/10

Elicha Ahui became the latest academy graduate to debut for the first team and he impressed in the first half, drawing rounds of applause from the home crowd.

In the closing stages of the first half a great through ball allowed Ben House to turn and shoot at goal, but it was well saved. Lincoln City ended the half on top.

Much like the first period, Lincoln City started the second on top once again, and nine minutes into the half Ahui went down in the box. But the referee waved it away.

The second half started slowly as both sides struggled to get a real foothold in the game in terms of any meaningful possession. Lincoln’s left-back Jamie Robson, who had a quiet first half, grew into the game in the second half and was unlucky to see a cross flash past the post and out for a goal kick.

In the 77th minute, after being subbed on in the first half following the injury to Oakley-Boothe, Davenport then was subbed off for seventeen-year-old Oisin Gallagher.

Lincoln City put the game beyond all reasonable doubt in the 84th minute as substitute Freddie Draper was played through on goal and made no mistake as he placed his shot through the keepers’ legs. Job done for the home side, and they progress to the next round of the Papa Johns trophy. A memorable moment for teenager Draper in his first appearance for the Imps since last December.