Chris Funell’s Lincoln United picked up another three points with a clean sheet, in a comfortable 2-0 victory over Wisbech Town.

It had only been a few days since an impressive cup display, beating Newark Town 4-1, so The Whites came into this game in good spirits.


It was a bright start for the hosts, with a plethora of chances falling their way. Matt Cotton had an effort saved by Wisbech goalkeeper Daniel George, following a nice one-two with Jack McMenemy down the right-wing.

The Whites thought that they should’ve taken the lead after 15 minutes, with Matt Cotton finding the back of the net. Unfortunately for United, the officials had decided that Cotton was in an offside position when Tobias Liversidge’s cross was played in from the wing.

Striker Mcmenemy was next to have a go five minutes later, as he controlled a high ball well on the left, before cutting inside and trying to bend a right-footed shot into the far corner. Goalkeeper George was equal to the shot.

A shift in momentum was evident following the 25-minute mark, as visitors Wisbech Town grew into the contest. Right-back Sisa Tuntulwana had a curling effort flicked over the bar, and a low driven shot whistled narrowly wide.

Steggles was called into action on 32 minutes, when a pacey counter-attack saw Ward have an effort on goal. Rob Conyard also posed a threat to the United net, but his effort also had the same result, as the Whites’ number one came out on top.

Lincoln United vs Wisbech Town
Lincoln United hit two wins in a week.


As for the second half, it was a positive start from both sides as the game continued its stretched nature. McMenemy went close to connecting a Matt Cotton cross only a couple yards away from goal.

United were forced into a change with Mitch Griffiths going down injured with Elliot Dye replacing him, leaving midfielder Harry Millard to slot into right-back.

Ted Gibbons was cautioned for a strong challenge in midfield before defender Sam Swinn headed a corner just over the bar, as the game ticked over the hour mark.

On 64 minutes, Chris Furnell’s side finally got the opportunity to take the lead via the penalty spot. Substitute Elliot Dye made his impact getting to the ball first, drawing a late challenge from a defender, giving referee Ben Woodburn no choice but to point to the spot.

Matt Cotton stepped up and calmly stroked the ball home to give Lincoln United a deserved lead.

Despite the lead and dominance of proceedings, the visitors created openings which tested Steggles until the end, as they searched for an equaliser. Conyard went close with just under 10 minutes to go, with a powerful strike to the feet of the goalkeeper.

The contest was put to rest on 85 minutes when a Lincoln United second killed any hope of Wisbech leaving Ashby Avenue with a point. Jack McMenemy was the goal scorer following up on a previously deflected shot, lifting his second effort over goalkeeper George.

The Whites are back in action next Saturday, as they make the short trip to play Sleaford Town.