Lincoln City 2-0 Notts County

Lincoln City beat Notts County 2-0 to progress in the Bristol Street Motors Trophy, with Jack Burroughs and Jack Vale scoring their first Imps’ goals.

Before kick-off, the Imps sat 2nd and in a qualification position. However, opposition for the night Notts County, without a point and bottom, knew with a win over Tom Shaw’s side would mean they had a chance of progressing if other results went their way.

Tom Shaw made five changes to the side that lost 2-1 to Morecambe in the FA Cup First Round on Saturday. Jordan Wright replaced Lukas Jensen in goal, with Jaden Brown coming into the Imps backline. The front three was re-shifted with Jovon Makama, Dylan Duffy and Jack Vale coming into start.


Jovon Makama was first to have an opportunity, stinging the face of goalkeeper Aidan Stone with a lifted effort, after a good interception and pass by Ethan Erhahon set the Englishman through after three minutes.

It wouldn’t be long before the hosts would make the breakthrough. Two minutes later, right wing-back Jack Burroughs burst clear after another interception, before rolling the ball past Stone at his near post. It is the defender’s first goal for the Imps, since his summer loan move from Coventry City.

After the goal, Notts County were happy to keep the ball, moving it from side to side, but with no real threat to the Imps’ backline.

Instead, it was the Imps who had the next shot on goal via a beautifully timed run by Jaden Brown. He opened up the County defence, before finding Jack Vale on the edge of the box. His effort was sent high and into the Stacey West Stand, as a wonderful opportunity went begging.

The little intensity that the game had seemed to have disappeared as both sides struggled to get any attacking momentum going, with Notts County keeping most of the possession, as the game ticked past the half an hour mark.

Out of nothing Notts County went within a matter of millimetres of finding an equaliser. A Sam Austin cross was floated to the back post where Aaron Nemane was waiting to connect and send the ball goalwards. Luckily for the Imps, Adam Jackson was on hand to stoop low to head the ball away and into the grateful arms of goalkeeper Jordan Wright.

Paudie O’Connor was booked on the stroke of half time for pulling Tipton back, but nothing came from the occurring set-piece, meaning City had the lead at the break.

Lincoln City 2-0 Notts County
Lincoln City advance to the knock-out stages. Credit: Jamie Johnson


A half-time change was made by interim head coach Tom Shaw with Ethan Hamilton replacing fellow midfielder Ethan Erhahon.

The 237 visiting fans were the happier of the two with how the second half started. Tobi Adebayo-Rowling had a chance with a header at the back post but could not steer the ball beyond the near post side netting.

Dylan Duffy pulled a cross just in front of the on-rushing Makama at the back post, which turned out to be the first forward flourish since mid-way through the first half.

Notts County’s new signing Dan Gosling made his first appearance in a Magpies shirt on the hour mark. The ex-premier league defender came on to replace captain Kyle Cameron.

The Imps managed to double their advantage in the 67th minute, with Jack Vale picking up his first goal for the Imps, since his loan move from Blackburn Rovers. Dylan Duffy dispossessed County’s Tipton with a well-timed sliding challenge before Vale took control of the ball. His run into the box caused panic amongst the visitors defence, before he rolled the ball into the bottom left corner.

It turned out to be Vale’s last touch before being replaced by fellow forward Hakeeb Adelakun.

Duffy was in the mood for more as his ambitious effort from near the half-way line skidded wide. The Irishman’s night ended early as he fell to the floor after his effort, and was replaced by Mide Shodipo.

City’s extensive injury list seemed to get worse, as Jaden Brown soon joined Dylan Duffy in finding himself on the ground and needing to be replaced. Lasse Sorensen took his spot.

Mide Shodipo was booked on 89 minutes for kicking the ball away. As the game was ticking down into stoppage time, a similar pattern of the Magpies keeping a hold of the possession was developing without Jordan Wright being tested in the Imps net.

The game finished in the same fashion as how it started. Jack Burroughs found himself breaking free down the right wing, but unlike in the fifth minute could not find the back of the net. His effort was saved by the feet of Aidan Stone.

Lincoln City 2-0 Notts County:

City did enough to get the victory on the night to secure progression into the knockout stages, and will wait for the result of Derby against Wolves U21s tomorrow to see if they finish top of the league.

Next up for the Imps is another home tie, back in SkyBet League One action at home to Port Vale, before going back on the road to visit Stevenage.