Lincoln United vs Hucknell Town

Lincoln United recorded their tenth successive victory in all competitions as they cruised past a struggling Hucknall Town 3-0 on Saturday afternoon.

A first-half Jack McMenemy brace and a Tobias Liversidge goal were enough for United to have another comfortable afternoon at the Sun-Hat Villas & Resorts Stadium.

At the time of kick-off, ‘The Whites’ sat 3rd in the United Counties League Premier Division North table, eight points from top spot, but with two games in hand. As for Hucknall Town, they sat in 17th, only one point ahead of Pinchbeck and the relegation zone.


The first effort of the game came from Hucknall’s Bradley Lathall. His shot on five minutes was dragged wide of Jack Steggles’ net.

Winger Ted Gibbons forced the first opportunity for The Whites after a quarter of an hour, trying to squeeze a shot in from a tight angle on the right wing, which was held by Hucknall goalkeeper Alfie Smith-Eccles.

In a stop-start opening 20 minutes, set-pieces proved to be the quickest source of chances. Mason Rowley met an in-swinging Joe Ashurst free-kick for the visitors, but his headed effort flew over.

Elliott Dye was first to be booked by referee Aaron Lloyd, for stopping a Hucknall counter-attack, before the 25th minute.

Sean Wright met a Ted Gibbons free-kick with the first of many headers, but unfortunately for the defender, his effort bounced wide on this occasion.

The deadlock was broken in the 33rd minute when, Jack McMenemy slid in at the back post, to tap home a shot from Elliot Dye.

The goal came after good work down the left wing and a dangerous cross, swung in by full-back Mitch Griffiths. The cross found its way to Elliot Dye whose first touch allowed him the time and space to strike low and to find McMenemy at the back post.

Leo Priestley had a right-footed whipping effort from 20 yards moments later, forcing a good save from Smith-Eccles in the Hucknall net.

On 43 minutes the hosts were given a golden chance to double their advantage just before the break when Jack McMenemy drew a foul after twisting away from a challenge. He dusted himself off before rolling the ball down the middle of the goal, to bag his first-half brace.

There were centremetres from Lincoln United adding a third before half-time as a cross from the right was flicked on by Hucknall Town captain Aaron Short onto the top of his own bar.

With the last play of the opening 45 minutes, Liversidge forced another opportunity, controlling a Priestley through ball before blasting the ball over and out of the ground from the edge of the penalty area.

Lincoln United vs Hucknell Town
The weather worsened in the second-half, but United’s play didn’t.


The ball found its way into the Hucknell net shortly after the restart from a corner. However, referee Mr Lloyd blew his whistle for a foul before the ball nestled into the net.

A golden chance came for defender Wright, as he climbed highest at the back post, but somehow put his header over the bar from only a couple yards out.

The first major chance for the visitors came after 50 minutes, with substitute Nathan Kelly finding Ayleal Dill, who couldn’t keep his effort down and on target. Lathall was next to have a go from the edge of the box, forcing a fine save from Steggles, diving down to his right quickly, to palm the ball away.

With an hour played, Matt Cotton was introduced, replacing Jack McGovern as the light began to fade and the rain began to pour down at Ashby Avenue. Within a couple of minutes, he was in behind the Hucknell defence, after a fortunate flick on. However, the strike was tame and straight at Smith-Eccles.

United weren’t to be silenced for long though, as in the 65th minute, Tobias Liversidge put the hosts three in front and killed the game off as a contest. The winger picked up the ball on the edge of the box at speed and was able to cut inside before firing low and hard into the bottom corner.

Hucknell Town’s Ashurst was booked for a challenge on the left with twenty minutes remaining, as the hosts continued to pile on the pressure.

Jack Butterfil was introduced with just under 15 minutes to go, replacing Teddy Gibbons. Wright had another free header at the back post saved as United looked to bolster their goal difference.

United’s Callum Foster was cautioned for a foul on halfway, before Chris Funnell made some more changes to his side. Griffiths and Dye were withdrawn for Pierce Hudson and Joe Smith.

Butterfill was next to have a go from the edge of the box but his effort was off target. Matt Cotton moment slater crashed the ball against the under side of the bar from a tight angle, after some silky footwork to get past two defenders.

The woodwork was involved again to deny substitute Joe Smith, following a free-flowing counter-attack. His run from the edge of the box was perfectly timed but his effort was just off target. United sealed a three points comfortably without being threatened again.

Lincoln United 3-0 Hucknall Town:

Lincoln United recorded their tenth win in a row, sweeping past Hucknall Town at the Sun-hat Villas & Resorts Stadium. Chris Funnell’s side will be hoping that the stellar form continues as they return to county cup action in midweek.