Lincoln City Women vs Leek Town Ladies

A late red card sunk Lincoln City Women’s hope of back-to-back wins, as Leek Town left it late to salvage a point at Moorlands.

Lucy Farrow gave the Imps the lead, but Leah Hardy’s second yellow card paved the way for a Cassie Hyde equaliser.

Lee Mitchell’s side were seeking consecutive wins for the first time this season, as they welcomed Leek, who sat just one place below them in the table at kickoff. Lincoln ended their pre-Christmas winless run with a comeback win at Leafield Athletic last week, propelling them away from the relegation zone.

The visitors came into the game off the back of three games unbeaten, having won 3-0 against Northampton Town in their first game of the new year.


Leek Town had only won once away from home this season in the league and started the game on the backfoot as Lucy Farrow flashed an effort just wide of the post in the 2nd minute.

The visitors had their first chance ten minutes later, as Millie Edwards called Lincoln City Women goalkeeper Poppy Irvine into action. Manuella Dele cut the ball back to her, but she shot straight at Irvine from the edge of the box.

Jemima Footit had a shot blocked as Lincoln began to pile on the pressure. The home side were dominating play, but Leek had moments where they posed a threat to the Imps backline.

Despite being the better side, Lee Mitchell’s team were unable to make their advantage count. The game descended into a scrappy, stop-start affair punctuated by fouls and misplaced passes.

Lincoln went closest in the 39th minute as Leah Hardy stung the palms of Bethany Cottrell. She fired from just outside the Leek box, curling her effort towards the top corner. 

Ella Thompson-Moulding went close just before the break as a half-cleared corner was hooked back in by Leah Hardy. It found Thompson-Moulding, who spun and shot, forcing a smart save.

It was goalless at the break, as Lincoln were unable to make the most of their first-half dominance.

Lincoln City Women vs Leek Town Ladies
The Imps celebrating their opening goal.


Lincoln City came out all guns blazing after the break, taking the lead within a minute. Footit cut in from the right and slipped a neat pass to Farrow, who netted confidently past Cottrell.

It was a carbon copy of Farrow’s goal last week at Leafield, as the Imps took a deserved lead against Leek Town.

The Imps were dominating proceedings in the second-half, bombarding the Leek defence for a stretch up until the hour mark.

Jemima Footit was forced off through injury in the 57th minute, as top-scorer Toni McHamilton replaced her.

The home side looked to have doubled their advantage a few minutes later as Maddi Green latched onto a wicked Farrow cross. Cottrell saved well, as she pushed the close-range effort wide.

With ten minutes to go, the task for Lincoln became to hang on to their three points as Leah Hardy was sent off for a second bookable offence.

Leek made their trip from Staffordshire worth it as captain Cassie Hyde fired home from a free kick with just five minutes of normal time remaining.

They attacked Poppy Irvine’s goal in a lengthy period of injury time, but couldn’t find the goal that could turn the game around.

Lincoln City Women 1-1 Leek Town Ladies:

Despite dominating proceedings at Moorlands, Lee Mitchell’s side were forced to leave with just a point. 

Lucy Farrow’s second goal in as many games wasn’t enough for a second consecutive win as Leek Town equalised after Leah Hardy’s red card to secure a point late on.

Lincoln travel to Skegness Town in the county cup next weekend.