Lincoln United Women vs Lincoln City Women

Lincoln United Women defeat Lincoln City to book their place in the Lincolnshire FA County Cup Final.

In a re-match of last year’s final, the hosts started the brightest and Betsy Thomas forced Lana Timson into an early save as she tipped over the curling effort.

The early pressure continued but Demi Barai was forced off with an injury to be replaced by Annie Ward.

The Whites made the breakthrough when Betsy Thomas pounced on a looping cross that was spilled by City goalkeeper Timson.

The Imps grew into the half and nearly found the equaliser through an own-goal when Amy Hood was caught out of position.

City struggled to defend set pieces, with United looking threatening every time they crossed the ball.

The Whites felt they should have had a penalty for handball after the ball pinballed around the six-yard-box but the referee wasn’t interested.

In the fifth minute of added time, the Whites doubled their lead. Another corner wasn’t cleared by the City defence and Ward bundled it over the line for 2-0.

Lincoln United's Ashby Avenue
Over 250 attended the game at Ashby Avenue.

Lincoln city started the second-half with a number of changes to try and impact the game, with Millie Quaintance and Lauren Nicholson replacing Brogan Pugh and Toni McHamilton.

The game became very scrappy with chances for either side but a lack of real quality from either United or City.

City began to control the game with Maddi Green in particular impressing with a number of dangerous corners.

On the 80 minute mark Ward made a remarkable goal line clearance to keep it 2-0.

Just five minutes later, Ward was unable to clear the ball and her mis-kick allowed City to pull one back. Leah Hardy’s composed dink made it 2-1, setting up a tense finish.

Lincoln United made a change, bringing on Stacey McConville to replace the first goal scorer Betsy Thomas.

The Whites were able to handle the storm and hold on for an impressive 2-1 victory over local rivals Lincoln City.

Lincoln United move on to the final of the County Cup with the targeted treble still a possibility.

Lee Mitchell’s side showed heart on the day but were deservedly beaten.

Feature Image Credit: Lincoln City FC/Graham Burrell