Lincoln City vs Leyton Orient

A sold-out LNER Stadium saw Lincoln City win 1-0 against Leyton Orient, thanks to a 90th minute winner from substitute Jovon Makama.

The Imps came into the game following a crazy 16 goals scored in their last three. 5-1 vs Barnsley, 6-0 vs Cambridge, and 5-0 vs Bristol Rovers. 

The win see’s City rise to sixth in the league, taking up the final play-off spot after other results favoured the Imps.

Leyton Orient helped City out last time with a 1-0 win against Stevenage at the Lamex, and helped City’s promotion push again today.


Leyton Orient had the first chance of the game less than 10 minutes in, as space opened up in the City defence for veteran Darren Pratley, whose effort was punched behind by goalkeeper Lukas Jensen.

Instantly, the game proved to be much more difficult for Lincoln than their last few outings.

A very well drilled Richie Wellens’ side managed to keep City’s attack quiet and maintain the lion’s share of possession, denying any possible chances for the home side.

Jordan Brown caused worry for Lincoln, after a shot from just outside the box steered close past the post. Brandon Cooper tried to flick the ball into the net, but narrowly missed as the ball rolled through his legs.

Joe Taylor had Lincoln’s first, and only chance in the first-half. A free kick, taken quickly by Sean Roughan, caught out the Orient defence, and Joe Taylor saw himself through with only goalkeeper Sol Brynn to beat. His effort was poor, however, as it was hit wide and into the stands for a goal kick.

Lincoln City vs Leyton Orient
A sold-out LNER Stadium of nearly 10,000 watched on as the Imps snatched the win.


Danny Mandroiu was a cause for concern on the Lincoln bench, as the midfielder went down needing treatment early in the first-half. He sustained a foot injury before the break and looked in discomfort, with the pain only seeming to get worse. However, he managed to stay on for a long period of the game before being replaced by defender TJ Eyoma late on.

Max Sanders showed no love for his former team, as a late tackle on Sean Roughan saw himself become the first Leyton Orient player in the referee’s book.

Sanders was quickly shipped off minutes later, with former Luton Town and Hull City midfielder George Moncur replacing him.

Lincoln’s midfield problems became apparent after 63 minutes. Irishman Jack Moylan was substituted for forward Freddie Draper, with fellow attacker Ben House dropping into the midfield role to support Mandroiu and Ted Bishop.

Lincoln came into life after the introduction of Draper. Long balls became a threat for the Imps, and their wingers were producing crosses to try and help the cause. Despite this, the forwards were unable to get a finishing touch on it, and the wait for a goal continued.

Leyton Orient had their biggest chance of the game after 75 minutes, and were unfortunate not to be ahead. A cross from Tom James met the head of Orient defender Omar Beckles, whose effort was touched over the crossbar by Jensen.

Draper did brilliantly to turn past Omar Beckles, but his curled effort from 20-yards out was not enough to trouble Brynn, who caught a ball directed towards him.

Lincoln were unlucky not to go ahead with 10 minutes to go. A counter attack found House on the right-wing, with Taylor and Draper alongside him. His cross was knocked on by Cooper, who placed it into the path of his goalkeeper to retrieve.

Leyton Orient looked the more dangerous of the sides as the game came to an end. A clearance from Bishop could only get as far as Ethan Galbraith, and the midfielder’s half-volley tested Jensen, who had to drop low to his right to clear it for a corner.

Then, the sold-out LNER Stadium erupted. Jovon Makama scored what was sure to be the winner in the 90th minute. He retrieved a long ball, managing to beat his defender and cut inside. His fine effort beat Brynn and nestled in the bottom right corner of the net.

Lincoln City vs Leyton Orient
Lincoln’s win stretches their unbeaten run to 14 games.

Lincoln City 1-0 Leyton Orient:

The dramatic win for Lincoln City has pushed them in the play-offs, after Oxford’s 1-1 draw with Shrewsbury, Stevenage’s goalless draw with Bolton and Derby 1-0 over Blackpool.

Despite the 13-day gap between this game and their last, Lincoln extended their good form to four wins in a row, and 14 games without defeat.

Next up for Lincoln is a trip to Carlisle on Easter Monday, as the Imps look to continue the fine run of form against a relegation-threatened side.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *