Lincoln United vs Deeping Rangers

Lincoln United battled to a deserved 1-0 victory over Deeping Rangers on Non-League Day.

The Whites were hoping to build on a fantastic week, which included winning the Lincolnshire FA County Senior Trophy on Wednesday, as they bid to achieve a historic quadruple this season.

Chris Funnell made two changes from their cup success, recalling Ted Gibbons and Michael Jacklin to the starting-11 in front of a busy Sun-hat Villas and Resorts Stadium.

Deeping Rangers travelled to Ashby Avenue in a rough patch of form, losing their last five and slipping away from the play off places in doing so. It was the first meeting of the sides this season, as the visitors look to net for the first time in what would be four games.


It was an even start in the Lincolnshire sunshine, with the ball being punted from either end and neither side being able to get any control in the middle of the pitch.

Jack McMenemy finally had the first shot of the afternoon on 12 minutes, as Ted Gibbons put him through but on a tight angle. The forward’s strike was straight at the goalkeeper.

Sean Wright was forced off injured for Lincoln after just 16 minutes and was replaced by Evan Payne. Then, Josh Moreman threatened Jack Steggles for the first time in the 21st minute, with a drilled effort that was comfortably held by the keeper.

McMenemy went close again moments later, showing brilliant determination to work a shot at the near post, but it was crucially blocked on the line.

Then on 26 minutes, Tobias Liversidge had the chance of the half, McMenemy whipped in a delightful ball to the far post but the winger directed his header wide of the far post.

Jake Park emphasised The Whites dominance as the half hour mark as he skipped past the last line of defence to go through on goal, but again his shot rolled wide of the mark and more frustration for the home side.

Late in the half, a small Deeping resurgence forced a couple of corners and some hairy moments at the back for Lincoln, but the defence stood strong and kept it goalless at the break.

Lincoln United vs Deeping Rangers
Lincoln United celebrate Non-League Day with a tight win over Deeping Rangers.


After a quiet start to the half, Lincoln eventually began to assert their dominance on 55 minutes. Tobias Liversidge had a free kick well saved by Michael Duggan in the best attempt early on.

The Whites continued to threaten as the hour mark rolled around but just could not create that golden opportunity needed to find the breakthrough.

Deeping were also carrying a bit more of a threat on the counter in the second period, they broke a number of times with The Whites not leaving many men at the back.

Liversidge again struck a shot goalward on 67 minutes, but a very good Duggan right arm got down to keep it out.

Evan Payne headed over a dangerous Deeping looping cross with 20 to play as the game was just starting to get stretched.

Billy Brooks was called into action from the bench for the final stages as The Whites went in search of a winner.

Then on 77 minutes, Lincoln finally found the breakthrough. Substitute Evan Payne rose highest from a corner and thundered a header into the roof of the net. A crucial goal which looked set to seal all three points for the hosts.

Ify Ofoegbu was a danger as he came from the bench to cause trouble to a tired Deeping backline. He stung the palms of Duggan six minutes from time.

Like in the first half Deeping threw everyone forward for the closing stages but a robust Whites defence was able to keep it out and secure a big win.

Lincoln United's Ashby Avenue
‘Pay what you want’ scheme brings in a crowd of over 200. Credit: Ed Mayes Photography

Lincoln United 1-0 Deeping Rangers:

It was a game which lacked a final moment of quality to find a goal, with Deeping frustrating The Whites for long periods.

Eventually the better team prevailed, with a set piece goal proving how important they can be at any level of football.

Lincoln will be hoping to make it three league wins on the bounce as they host Melton Town on Tuesday in a re-arranged league clash.