Gainsborough Trinity vs Hyde United

Gainsborough Trinity came out with a three-point return as they beat Hyde United 4-1 in the Northern Premier League.

Goals from Ashley Jackson, George Hornshaw, and two from top goalscorer Declan Howe saw the Holy Blues to a key victory.

Despite scoring four, there was a late set of dismissals as Connor Shanks and Shakeel Jones-Griffiths saw themselves removed from the pitch for dangerous challenges.

It was a massive game at the KAL Group stadium, with Gainsborough hosting the side currently maintaining sixth spot. Before this game, Hyde sat 11 points clear of the Holy Blues, having played two games more.

Russ Wilcox made just one change to his side that fell short to Lancaster last weekend, with Joe Stacey coming in for Lewis Butroid, who missed out through injury.


The first 10 minutes were contested between the two sides well. Despite a fair share of possession, it was Trinity that had more chances. They produced some nice build-up play and created a few chances, but there was nothing to truly test Jordan Eastham in the Tigers’ goal.

Gainsborough had an appeal for a penalty quickly waved away by referee William Cavanagh. A lovely ball towards the six-yard box by Declan Howe was met by Southwell, but as he went to shoot, he was caught by a defender. Despite appeals by fans and players, Cavanagh ruled play on, and the Holy Blues could continue to create attacking chances.

The first goal of the game came to Gainsborough, and it was another goal for Howe. Fraser Preston had a volley just in front of goal, but he caught it all wrong. It fell to Trinity’s number 10, and there was no doubt he could tap it in from close range.

It was a deserved lead for Gainsborough after the first 25 minutes. The Holy Blues were doing more in the final third, with Hyde unable to have a shot at goal. While it was a quiet start for Dylan Wharton in front of the Trinity goal, the rest of the players were certainly keeping Hyde busy.

Jackson doubled Gainsborough’s lead after 35 minutes. After the corner was sent in, his first attempt was blocked from close range, but his volley looped over the defence and goalkeeper, and nestled into the back of Eastham’s net.

Hyde had their own appeals for a penalty turned away by Cavanagh. After a shot from 25 yards out, the ball seemingly struck the arm of a sliding Dylan Cogill, but protests were cleared as the Tigers tried to put some pressure on the Trinity defence right before half time.

Gainsborough Trinity vs Hyde United
Gainsborough returned to winning ways after defeat at Lancaster.


The second-half started with the third goal of the match for Gainsborough. Hornshaw received the ball from Dayle Southwell, and his left-footed strike beat Eastham at his near post.

There was a stoppage in play after 10 minutes of the second half for Gainsborough to treat Wharton. After a dangerous ball sent through to Florian Yonsian, the ‘keeper managed to get himself in front of the shot but was caught in the process. He seemed in a lot of discomfort as the physio’s treated him, and he was forced off for substitute goalkeeper Josh Render.

The second 45 minutes had a much different dynamic to the first. Hyde had more desperation, as they knew they needed a big performance to get back into the game, and deny a playoff rival any chance of taking their spot in the league.

Jackson had a second goal of the match denied by the linesman for offside. The ball came to Jackson following a defensive clearance, and he placed the ball past Eastham in the Hyde net. After extensive discussion between the two officials, it was concluded that a Gainsborough player was offside during the build-up.

Top-scorer Howe managed to net the fourth for Gainsborough just six minutes after Jackson’s was disallowed. Southwell did well to beat his man and get into a dangerous position on goal, but his effort was saved by Eastham before finding himself unable to stop the effort of Trinity’s number ten.

The match took a turn, especially for substitute Connor Shanks, who received a straight red card for a late and dangerous tackle on Callum Spooner five minutes from full-time. Following a previous altercation between the two, Shanks tried to get one back, but was punished for his challenge

Shakeel Jones-Griffiths levelled the numbers on the pitch, seeing red for a kick out following a tackle by Stacey. The full back saw a straight red and had no complaints as he slumped down the tunnel for an early shower.

Hyde managed to get a consolation goal in stoppage time, as a free kick was not cleared properly, and Mampala was given the opportunity of tapping the ball past Render. It was lacklustre defending from the Holy Blues who had worked so hard in the previous 90 minutes.

Gainsborough Trinity 4-1 Hyde United

There was a roar as the referee blew the whistle for full time, as Trinity knew how important this win was for their play-off push.

The win sees the Holy Blues sit eight points off today’s opposition, knowing that their two games in hand can see them sit just two points behind sixth spot.

Next up for Wilcox’s side is a trip to Derbyshire on Tuesday, as Trinity face Matlock Town, looking to keep the pressure on the play-off sides.