Lincoln United will remain in step five next season after they fell at the first hurdle in the play-offs.

They lost 1-3 to Skegness Town, at Ashby Avenue.

The Whites came into the play-offs following a 2-0 win over Deeping Rangers last weekend, which secured them second-place in the table. It ensured both their semi-final and final (if they made it) would be at home.

They were however facing a Skegness Town team who had beat them 1-0 in the League Cup semi-final. Despite that result, the Lilywhites had been in a tricky spell of form, winning just two of their last nine. It meant they had lost touch with the top four and only scraped into the play-offs by a point.


It was Skegness who started the brighter of the two, being more assertive in their play and winning second balls in midfield. Striker Gary King fired a free kick wide early on in the only real chance.

That was until the 12th minute when a Marshall Young flick on allowed Gary King a chance to bear down on goal. Steggles rushed out his goal and along with Sean Wright collided with the striker, there may have been a few hearts in mouths around the ground, but the referee gave The Whites a free kick.

It was Skegness, though, who took the lead on 16 minutes. Young found himself in space on the right wing, the forward drilled a low cross across the face and into the path of Kieron Wressall who tapped home to give his side the lead.

After this point Lincoln seemed to finally get going, they began to get strikers Jack McMenemy and Matt Cotton involved more and threaten the Skegness backline for the first time.

Sean Wright headed goalwards from a corner on 34 minutes, as Pipes-Gou had to be at his alert best to tip the ball over the bar. It had taken some time for The Whites to get going, but they were well on top as the first-half drew towards its conclusion.

Shortly afterwards, the equaliser did come. Yet another Leo Priestley set piece came good for The Whites as his in-swinging corner was met by Wright who powered home a header from a couple of yards out.

Then just before the whistle, Foster went on a marauding run down the left wing and cut it back to Baker who will feel he should have scored. The winger lent back for his shot and saw it fly over the crossbar in what was a golden chance to take the lead.

The teams went in at the break all square, with a place in next week’s final all to play for in the second 45.

Lincoln United end the season with just the Lincolnshire FA County Trophy to their name.


There was a big flashpoint within seconds of the kick-off, Cotton was caught by a very late Cenk Acar tackle and there were huge shouts for a red card from The Whites’ players and supporters. The referee though, after consultation with the assistant, only showed a yellow to the midfielder.

Skegness had hardly threatened since they went in front, but after a quiet first 15 in the second half created a great chance. Raynor-Mistry squared for Scott Floyd, who was unmarked in the area, but he fluffed his lines and miskicked his effort.

It was becoming an end-to-end game at this stage and Skegness created another opportunity on the counter just moments later. King found himself with a great shooting chance, but shot straight at the legs of Steggles who kept it out.

By 75 minutes it was a very cagey affair, with neither side really looking like they would find a winner.

Then on 83 minutes, the sinking goal came, Jones swung in a dangerous cross and Scott Floyd just redirected it at the near post. It took it out of the path of Steggles and into the net.

Then a remarkable third quickly followed. Elliot Broughton deflected the ball back towards Steggles and the goalkeeper seemed to just miss the ball and it rolled into the net. Surely the goal that would condemn Lincoln United to another year in step five.

Multiple attacking changes followed, but the hosts were unable to fashion any kind of opening to get the goals they needed.

The full-time whistle sounded, and the sound of Skegness cheers were the loudest at Ashby Avenue.

Lincoln United 1-3 Skegness Town:

As you may expect with play-off football, it was a game of tight margins. Skegness started as by far the brighter side and took the lead through Wressall early on.

The Whites though fought back and found a crucial equalising goal before half-time, Sean Wright nodding in. The second-half ebbed and flowed but it was Skegness who eventually found the decisive moments.

Lincoln United will have to go again in step five next season.