Lincoln United vs Sherwood Colliery

Lincoln United advanced to the semi-final stage of the United Counties League League Cup, after a 2-1 win over league rivals Sherwood Colliery on Tuesday night.

The hosts arrived in good spirits, after a penalty shootout victory in the FA Vase round of 16 stage, at Hallam FC last weekend.


It was a slow start to proceedings with neither side able to carve open an opportunity within the opening quarter of an hour. The sides currently sit first and second in the league, and cancelled each other out, with a physical encounter in midfield being shown.

The first chance brought with it the first goal of the game for the visitors, with Aaron Korpal latching onto a long ball over the top of the United defence and slotting the ball through the legs of goalkeeper Jack Steggles.

Jake Park got to the ball first from a low cross from the right at the near post but had his goal bound effort deflected over the bar for a corner on 25 minutes, as the hosts looked for a way back into the game.

Only three minutes later, The Whites pulled level through youngster Billy Brooks. The former Lincoln City academy prospect was slipped through by Tobias Liversidge, before smashing the ball into the bottom left corner.

Kallum Smith danced his way through the Sherwood penalty area after half an hour, but was stopped at the last minute by a dangling leg, as the ball was cleared away to safety by Sherwood.

On 36 minutes, the turnaround was completed with a silky counter-attack from a Sherwood free-kick. Jake Park found the feet of McMenemy on the left wing, before an inch perfect cross found the head of Tobias Liversidge, who guided the ball into the back of the net via the inside of the post.

In added time of the first half, Brooks had another opportunity to double the Whites’ lead, in a position similar to the one in which he scored from. However, this time visiting goalkeeper Jordan Pierrepont was equal to the strike.

Lincoln United vs Sherwood Colliery
Lincoln United remain in the hunt for four trophies with a win over Sherwood.


Jack Steggles was called into action to tip Jacob Pearce’s strike around the far post and out for a corner, to preserve United’s lead, ten minutes into the second half.

Ify Ofoegbu replaced Jake Park, as United looked to put a buffer between themselves and their opponents. Then, Whites midfielder Harry Millard became the first name to be taken by the referee after 62 minutes, after a foul on the Sherwood right-wing.

Liversidge’s dancing feet on the right was enough to get through three challenges, before his left footed shot was scuffed into the hands of goalkeeper Pierrepont.

Sherwood goalscorer Korpal dragged a shot wide from the edge of the box after cutting in from the right, but it rolled harmlessly past Steggles.

Brooks was the next to be cautioned by referee Tim Eagles for a bad challenge in midfield, as the game became scrappier and feisty. The goalscorer was replaced by Ted Gibbons with just over a quarter of an hour to play. Harry Millard also departed in place of Sam Swinn.

Steggles’ palms were stung again with just under ten minutes to play as substitute Ethan Wiesztort cut inside from the left before looking to curl an effort into the top corner. The goalkeeper was equal to the effort and parried the effort clear.

It was an early night for Mitch Griffiths as he pulled out of the action due to injury with just over five minutes to play. Harvey Graves was his replacement.

The Whites had to dig in through added time and showed good defensive discipline to keep their opponents out.

Lincoln United 2-1 Sherwood Colliery:

Chris Funnell’s men reached the league cup semi-finals, as they continue to battle on four fronts this season.

Their FA Vase win on Saturday took them one step closer to Wembley, while they also remain in the hunt for a league title and county cup glory.

2 thought on “Lincoln United advance to league cup semi-final with comeback win”

Comments are closed.