Lincoln City held to goalless draw by Cambridge United

Lincoln City extended their unbeaten run to four League Two matches despite a lacklustre display at home to Cambridge United.

The Imps never really got going in a goalless encounter which won’t live long in the memory.

Despite dropping points, City maintain their place in the top ten while Cambridge drop to 15th.

It was a frustrating afternoon for the thousands of Lincoln fans inside Sincil Bank.

The early exchanges were dominated by City but the first chance of the game fell to Cambridge came after ten minutes when Mendy Elito’s shot was deflected behind after some impressive footwork on the edge of the box.

The biggest cheer of the first 15 minutes came not for the football but for the Red Arrows who flew over Sincil Bank, much to the delight of the Imps fans.

Midway through the first half, intricate Cambridge passing on the edge if the box found Piero Mingoia, however his bending left footed shot went just over the bar.

Soon after, Josh Ginnelly’s wide free kick was knocked back across goal by Luke Waterfall. Michael Bostwick headed goalbound but Matt Green failed to convert from less than a yard out.

City were clearly getting frustrated and both Waterfall and Sam Habergham were booked for fouls within a few minutes of each other.

On the stroke of half time Cambridge felt they should have had a penalty after a collision between Josh Vickers and Elito but referee Kevin Johnson turned away the appeals.

Michael Bostwick then produced a brilliant diving header to block a goalbound shot. The resulting corner found Liam O’Neil completely unmarked inside the six yard box but somehow he managed to head the ball wide.

It meant the game was all to play for in the second half as the sides went in level at the break.

The first save David Forde had to make in the Cambridge goal came four minutes into the second half after Ginnelly’s cross found Green but his header didn’t trouble the veteran keeper.

Imps manager, Danny Cowley, tried to change the game with three substitutions in quick succession. Jordan Maguire-Drew, Nathan Arnold and Matt Rhead replaced Knott, Ginnelly and Palmer.

But the substitutes still couldn’t wake City from their slumber and  in the 67th minute Vickers was called into action to produce a good save after O’Neil won the ball 18 yards out and unleashed a powerful right footed shot.

And Vickers was was called into action again minutes later. This time he produced a fingertip save to deny Cambridge midfielder Mingoia from giving his side the lead.

With a goalless draw looming, Jordan Maguire-Drew curled in a teasing left footed cross but Green made no attempt to head the ball in.

A final five minutes of stoppage time failed to produce any further chances, meaning both sides left Sincil Bank with a point each.

Comments are closed.